IIS 5 & IIS 6
Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") Reports web server login not cl...
Last post Jan 18, 2006 04:20 AM by Silvers5™
Jan 05, 2006 03:25 PMfirstname.lastname@example.org|LINK
First time I've seen this and I'm not even sure where to look for the answer. An ASP page with only this code:
<% Response.Write "User: " & Request.ServerVariables("LOGON_USER") %>
On most systems returns the domain\userID for the user on the workstation, as expected. But I have one workstation (at least) where this returns the domain\ID of whatever account is logged into the web server.
This is an intranet and an AD domain but I don't think that matters. It's also machine specific, the same user logged in at another system works fine. Nothing else strange on the system that I know of, XP, SP2, current on critical updates, no firewall
Jan 06, 2006 11:50 AM|tomkmvp|LINK
Is the iis service running as a different user? Just a shot in the dark ...
Jan 06, 2006 01:44 PMemail@example.com|LINK
Pretty much a plain vanilla IIS install with IWAM/IUSR_MachineName, just set to Windows Integrated and no Anonymous access. I had thought maybe IE wasn't passing credentials, but it's passing credentials to access the site, just responding incorrectly to
the request. The code displays specific sections for specific groups of users, and the Request.ServerVariables is to get the user. The site works but determines the user is the local admin of the web server. I'm not sure where it would even pull up those
credentials, let alone assign them as the logged in user.
I've done some testing and can't duplicate this, and I may just re-image the workstation to see if that fixes the issue. So far this is the only workstation I've found with this problem, but I was told this morning that a virus had previously been cleaned
from the system. The system also has had a half dozen users assigned to it over the last two years, so I'm not sure how far from base configuration it's changed.
Jan 09, 2006 10:52 AMfirstname.lastname@example.org|LINK
Digest authentication doesn't change this behavior. Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER") reports the same account as LOGON_USER. And I've found a second system this happens on. The second system has the same OS, but different hardware and a different
set of applications. I'm going to rebuild one of these systems and see if that solves the issue.
Jan 10, 2006 09:07 AMemail@example.com|LINK
FWIW, this issue does not appear in Mozilla Firefox.
Jan 10, 2006 02:11 PM|tomkmvp|LINK
Jan 10, 2006 03:56 PMfirstname.lastname@example.org|LINK
I may try AuthDiag on the second system I have. The first system was fixed by blowing away the user's profile and recreating it. Not a quick fix but far less drastic than wiping and reinstalling the OS.
What's strange is that the profile must have had something in it, possibly a registry setting, that affected the user only on that system. We're on roaming profiles and the same user profile on another system worked fine.
Jan 18, 2006 04:20 AM|Silvers5™|LINK