Windows Server 2003 SP1 upgrade caused SQL connections to failRSS

9 replies

Last post Aug 09, 2005 11:07 AM by Defner

  • Windows Server 2003 SP1 upgrade caused SQL connections to fail

    Jun 14, 2005 09:44 AM|popeye4u83|LINK

    We recently upgraded a windows server 2003 with SP1 and can no longer use our ASP pages that connect to databases.  The error occurs when trying to create a connection object.  Our MDAC is the correct version (2.8) and everything worked fine until the recent update.  I have looked everywhere for a solution, but the only ones I could find were when you update from 2000 to 2003, and not with SP1.

    Might also help to note that I am not in a Virtual Hosting Enviroment, as this supposedly breaks ODBC.

    I am stumped. 

    Any suggestions?
  • Re: Windows Server 2003 SP1 upgrade caused SQL connections to fail

    Jun 14, 2005 01:29 PM|tomkmvp|LINK

    Please provide the exact error message - it's nearly impossible to help without that ...
  • Re: Windows Server 2003 SP1 upgrade caused SQL connections to fail

    Jun 14, 2005 03:26 PM|popeye4u83|LINK

    the error message is

      error '8007007f'


    and it occurs in this line

       Set connobj = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

    Everything worked prior to the update of SP1.
  • Re: Windows Server 2003 SP1 upgrade caused SQL connections to fail

    Jun 14, 2005 04:05 PM|jeff@zina.com|LINK

    Have you Binged a solution before posting?
  • Re: Windows Server 2003 SP1 upgrade caused SQL connections to fail

    Jun 15, 2005 08:34 AM|popeye4u83|LINK

    That was my first guess after doing a lot of research online.  The thing is our files are all 2.8 and I already verified this.  Also, the MDAC update to 2.8 will not work on machines that had 2003 as the original OS (without an upgrade), or at least it's not recommended.  Something about the OS stops it from installing these files, it looks like they install when, in fact, they don't.  This was the only solution I could find in my research, but it doesn't work.  Thanks for all your help though, it is greatly appreciated.
  • Re: Windows Server 2003 SP1 upgrade caused SQL connections to fail

    Jun 15, 2005 08:58 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

    Is that the exact error message, just "error '8007007f'" and no descriptive text ?

    See: http://www.aspfaq.com/search.asp?q=8007007f&x=7&y=12

  • Re: Windows Server 2003 SP1 upgrade caused SQL connections to fail

    Jun 15, 2005 09:15 AM|popeye4u83|LINK

    Yes, that's the exact message.

    I believe it can't find oledb32.dll, which was a problem when you upgraded from 2000 to 2003, but this doesn't apply to this machine which had 2003 installed from scratch.  Is it possible that SP1 breaks the ODBC?  It was mentioned in an article about Virtual Hosting Environments (VHE), but that doesn't apply to this either, as it is not a VHE.

    It happens in this code:

    Set connobj = CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

  • Re: Windows Server 2003 SP1 upgrade caused SQL connections to fail

    Jun 15, 2005 11:20 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

    Did you read the FAQ I pointed to?
  • Re: Windows Server 2003 SP1 upgrade caused SQL connections to fail

    Jun 15, 2005 11:31 AM|popeye4u83|LINK

    Yes, that was one of the first things I did.

    It's saying that it cannot find the library and I checked to make sure that it is pointing to the right file.  Sorry I didn't mention that before.  Thank you for your help :)
  • Re: Windows Server 2003 SP1 upgrade caused SQL connections to fail

    Aug 09, 2005 11:07 AM|Defner|LINK

    This is what seems to happened for us: I also installed SP1 and after that our web applications failed because of SQL Server connection. On inspection of problem with Microsoft Component Checker (Tool for MDAC). I started to wonder why some of the files seemed to be on H drive (my personal one). For some reason Windows had changed Common Files folder to H drive instead of C. And SP1 installation (and brobably something else before it) installed OleDB files to h drive. I tried to correct this manually modifying registry and copying files to C drive. Now i try to reistall SP1 to get windows hold on things.