We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

IIS not using MSDERSS

5 replies

Last post Nov 11, 2004 08:40 PM by Qbernard

• IIS not using MSDE

Nov 07, 2004 10:34 AM|JNB626|LINK

I am new to ASP.net and have created a page that work great if I run it from within the ASP.NET Web Matrix using the ASP.NET Matrix server (port 8080) but If I choose to run it using the IIS virtual root I get errors and when I debug it I find that it is not using the MSDE it is returning everything not just html and the browser doesn't know what to do with it. Can anyone help me figure out what to do? I am running Windows XP Professional.
  • Re: IIS not using MSDE

Nov 07, 2004 09:18 PM|qbernard|LINK

No ideas, but the exact error msgs and event log error (if any) would be helpful to troubleshoot.
    Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Nov 07, 2004 11:31 PM|JNB626|LINK

Edited by SomeNewKid. Please post code between <code> and </code> tags.
    When using IIS the page loads but does not show the Form input fields (Web control text box & web control dropdown list) and has this script error. Lline: 4 Character: 9 Error: Expected ';' Code: 0 URL: http://localhost/intro6.aspx/intro6.aspx Here is what is returned to the browser when I view the source. <script runat="server"> Sub SubmitBtn_Click(Sender As Object, E As EventArgs) Message.Text = "Hi " & HttpUtility.HtmlEncode(Name.Text) & ", you selected: " & Category.SelectedItem.Text End Sub </script>
    <form action="intro6.aspx" method="post" runat="server">

Name: Category: psychology business popular_comp

</form>
    It just seems to me like the MSDE is not working when I use IIS but does work when I use the ASP.NET Web MAtrix Server (port 8080)

Nov 08, 2004 01:06 AM|qbernard|LINK

a) Error: Expected ';' that's your code error. b) do you installed .net framework in the IIS box ? if you browse and it return the code, then it's not compile, IIS just dump the text to you. test a simple hello world aspx before testing your app.
    Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Nov 10, 2004 08:15 PM|JNB626|LINK

I have gone around trying several things and have it working now. What I ended up doing was uninstalling both the .net frame work and the IIS, Rebooted and then installed them again. I didn't get any kind of error messages the first time or this time when I installed either of them. But I was able to browse to a local asp.net page and everything was fine. What I can say that tripped me up a little was from the ASP.NET Web Matrix was when I would run the page using the "Use or create an IIS virtual root" It requires a application name be entered. I was putting in the name of the asp.net file name this would produce an error. If I put in the directory name it works fine. This was not apparent to me because the first line of the window shows the application directory. I am not sure if anyone else has had this issue or not but I thought I would post my finding so that it might help someone else. JNB626

Nov 11, 2004 08:40 PM|qbernard|LINK

Thanks for the update, application name should be independent from the application. I can't repro your error on an IIS box.
    Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah