How can I access and display an image stored on a network drive?RSS

8 replies

Last post Aug 16, 2004 01:20 PM by thuhue

• How can I access and display an image stored on a network drive?

Aug 11, 2004 07:38 PM|thuhue|LINK

I'm writing a reporting site in classic ASP. On one page, user supposedly can click on any of a column of buttons and bring up an image in a new window. The images are stored on a network drive. there're thousands of those images. How can I access and display an image stored on a network drive? Thanks.
    Please mark this post as "Answer" and earn a point.

• Re: How can I access and display an image stored on a network drive?

Aug 12, 2004 08:46 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

A few different ways, the easiest is probably to map an IIS virtual directory to the UNC path.

Aug 13, 2004 09:56 AM|thuhue|LINK

Here's what I appreciate to know: 1) You advise me to make the network drive P:\invent as a virtual directory /INVENT? How can I access it in classic ASP? Is the below example correct: 2) Do I need to add he above virtual directory to my VS project as well? If yes, how? I know how to add a folder and place under it a limited number of images for a regular project, but this one is more like a textile sample image display system. 3) By the way, I'm writing this particular project in classic ASP using VS.NET fir prototyping purposes and plan to convert it to ASP.net later. Is the part of image display any different between classic ASP and ASP.net? Thanks again for any help.

Aug 13, 2004 11:30 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

1) That's somewhat correct - I advised using the UNC path (and not the mapped drive letter), and you're not accessing it using ASP at all, that's just HTML code you provide in your example. 2) No, and I'm not aware of any way to do it. Perhaps a VS.NET forum might know the answer ... 3) Not as long as it's just HTML.

Aug 13, 2004 01:16 PM|thuhue|LINK

I've now created the unc path virtual directory in IIS. Here's how the IIS hierarchy looks: /MyApp (APP virtual directory) /Invent I then tried different path strings to display the image, but all attemps have failed. The last path string I used was: Please correct me. Thanks again.

Aug 13, 2004 03:51 PM|tomkmvp|LINK

It should be . Also, make sure you see http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269009.

Aug 13, 2004 07:00 PM|thuhue|LINK

I did as you said and still failed to display the image. Do we need to include the virtual directory in my VS project also, which I don't know how to do? Thanks again.

Aug 16, 2004 10:12 AM|tomkmvp|LINK

Is the virtual directory setup correctly? http://support.microsoft.com/?id=269009

Aug 16, 2004 12:09 PM|thuhue|LINK

I found the setup needs to be corrected. After the correction, everything shows up. Thanks.