We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

FTP Access DeniedRSS

12 replies

Last post Jul 12, 2004 12:31 AM by qbernard

• FTP Access Denied

Jun 23, 2004 09:57 PM|Discusman|LINK

Hi Guys, I'm trying to set up FTP in IIS 6 (Windows 2003). I have double checked all the permissions in FTP property as well as NTFS permission. I couldn't get in my FTP folder. I enter: ftp://myinternetip/ It would try to open the folder for like 5 mins, then an error message saying: An error occur while opening the ftp folder. Make sure you have permission to this folder. The operation timeout. I go to DOS-Prompt and enter: c:\>ftp localhost I get: Access Denied Can someone please help? Thanks in advance.
  • Re: FTP Access Denied

Jun 23, 2004 10:21 PM|qbernard|LINK

when you try command prompt, ftp.exe do you see FTP banner msgs and login prompt ? what's the full error msgs ? can you login as local admin ?
    Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Jun 24, 2004 08:20 AM|Discusman|LINK

Ok, I go to Run and entered FTP.exe I get this banner: "Window can't access this device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permission to access this item" What do you mean by login as local admin? I tried "ftp://myinternetip" on my own server and it doesn't work. However, it works when I enter: "ftp://myserverip" on my server. What is the problem here? Thanks.

Jun 24, 2004 11:00 PM|qbernard|LINK

Now, what's your internetworking setup ? do more test, make sure ftp is running a) go to the server, enter command prompt. enter ftp localhost what do you see? make sure you using the ftp.exe at %windir%/system32/ b) any local firewall in the server ? c) you should test your internet IP from remote host, not from local box.
    Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Jun 25, 2004 07:33 AM|Discusman|LINK

All my computers (including the server) are on a small network using D-Link DI604 and a switch. I have set up Port 21 forwarding on my D-Link router, configured windows 2003 built-in firewall to allow ftp requests, have all the permission in FTP server property as well as full NTFS permission on the ftp folder. I go to DOS-Prompt on my server and entered: ftp localhost and I get: "Access Denied". If I enter: ftp myinternetip in the DOS Prompt, I get: "Access Denied" ftp.exe at %windir%system32/ meaning enter %windir%system32%ftp.exe at command prompt? Yes, I am running personal sygate firewall in the server, I don't think this is a problem because the firewall has asked me to allow ftp requests to port 21 at the first time I turned on my FTP server and I checked the box says " Allow traffic to port 21" and remember this answer. I also use my other Dell computer (on the same network) to test my ftp server, it gives me the same error. I found these in FTP logfile: #Software: Microsoft Internet Information Services 6.0 #Version: 1.0 #Date: 2004-06-24 01:47:42 #Fields: time c-ip cs-method cs-uri-stem sc-status sc-win32-status 01:47:42 MyInternetIP [1]USER anonymous 331 0 01:47:42 MyInternetIP [1]PASS IEUser@ 230 0 01:47:42 MyInternetIP [1]CWD / 250 0 01:49:56 MyInternetIP [1]closed - 421 121 Thanks for the help.

Jun 25, 2004 08:09 AM|Discusman|LINK

I've also noticed something is wrong with my FTP. Right now, my FTP home directory is at c:\newfolder I created a new empty folder called "FTPFolder" inside of the c:\newfolder I have given full permission in both IIS FTP server property as well as the NTFS permission. Then I go in IIS Manager and click on "DefaultFTPSite", I don't see the folder (FTPFolder) at the view pannel. I go to property>home directoy and I found FTP directory is c:\newfolder what is happening here? I thought I suppose to see "FTPFolder" in the view pannel. Something wrong with my FTP directory?

Jun 27, 2004 11:24 PM|qbernard|LINK

For testing purpose, I suggest you disable you firewall setting. after making sure that ftp function probably, then you start to lock down. FTP operates in two modes, active and passive, for active it needs port 21-inbound, 20-outbound, passive is another range of ports, read - Information About the IIS File Transmission Protocol (FTP) Service http://support.microsoft.com/?id=283679
    Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Jun 27, 2004 11:25 PM|qbernard|LINK

You will not see 'physical directory' under FTP sites in IIS MMC, but you would see virtual directory if you have one.
    Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah

Jun 28, 2004 02:11 AM|chrisad|LINK

Hey~ I didn't see you mention what user isolation you chose during the wizard. IIS 6.0 introduces user isolation (which you should absolutely use) to ensure that you can effectively sandbox users to their own home directory. If you chose Local User Isolation (option 2 in the wizard), then if you do not have the directory structure setup correctly for a public user then you will get access denied everytime. Here is a sample of how you should set this up - FTPRoot: c:\MyFTPSite FTPDir: c:\MyFTPSite\LocalUser UserDir: c:\MyFTPSite\LocalUser\UserAccount Here is the information from the IIS 6.0 Resource Guide - Isolate Users Mode The Isolate users mode determines a unique home directory for each user derived from the user name. The home directory of the user is treated as a root directory for the user, and the user cannot navigate or access the physical file system outside of the root directory. If users need access to dedicated shared folders, then you can establish a virtual directory. User home directories are located in a two-level directory structure under the FTP site directory. The site directory can reside either on the local computer or on a network share. When a user accesses the FTP site, the home directory is determined in one of three ways: For anonymous users, the home directory is LocalUser\Public under the FTP root directory. For local users, the home directory is LocalUser\UserName under the FTP root directory. For users that log on with Domain\UserName, the home directory is Domain\UserName under the FTP root directory. The user home directory must be created before the user logs on. If the directory does not exist when the user attempts to connect, the connection is denied. ---- We also did a webcast on this back last year. Here it is - http://www.microsoft.com/usa/webcasts/ondemand/2095.asp Thanks, ~Chris Web Platform Supportability Lead
    ~Chris
    Program Manager
    IIS Product Unit (Microsoft)

Jul 03, 2004 10:58 PM|Discusman|LINK

Umm.... I dont remember which user isolation mode I chose during wizard. What should I do now? How would I delete FTP server and reinstall it? So I can chose the correct user isolation during FTP setup.

Jul 03, 2004 11:16 PM|Discusman|LINK

I reinstalled FTP server again and I didn't see any FTP installation wizard. Now I do not know which isolation mode did I pick during IIS 6 installation. What should I do now? I have also tried to test my FTP while the firewall is OFF and it still doesn't work. I get access denied.

Jul 04, 2004 02:25 PM|chrisad|LINK

Hey~ You cannot change the the isolation mode after you have created the FTP Site. You will need to delete the FTP Site, then right-click FTP and choose New | FTP Site. During the wizard, the second wizard screen talks about the three types of isolation - None, Local, and Active Directory. I highly recommend viewing the webcast I did that was in the previous post because it shows demo's of how it worked in IIS 5.0 and how it works now in IIS 6.0. Thanks, ~Chris
    ~Chris
    Program Manager
    IIS Product Unit (Microsoft)

Jul 12, 2004 12:31 AM|qbernard|LINK

Yes, pls follow Chris's advice. After reinstall, remote the default ftp site, then create a new ftp site, follow the wizard and you will be prompt to select the user isolation mode.
    Cheers,
    Bernard Cheah