We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

dump filt(.dmp)RSS

3 replies

Last post May 11, 2004 03:54 PM by chrisad

• dump filt(.dmp)

May 10, 2004 12:09 PM|pzmrcd|LINK

Hi I have a .dmp file genereated by IIS ....I tried to open it usind w/pad..no use.. How can I read it now. ..Thanks
  • Re: dump filt(.dmp)

May 10, 2004 04:09 PM|chrisad|LINK

Hey~ You will probably need to download a debugger, as a .dmp file is a memory dump file typically. The easiest download is WinDBG, which is available at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx You will need how to do debugging, but I assume you do not know a lot of debug commands. Use the WinDBG help to determine what commands to use.. HTH,
    ~Chris
    Program Manager
    IIS Product Unit (Microsoft)

May 11, 2004 12:32 PM|pzmrcd|LINK

Hi Than ks for the info.. I have a problem with IIS6.o.. It hangs with out any error information..we were informed by msft that there was a bug with asp.net dll and requested us to applu a patch..it worked fine for a few weeeks and we have the same problem again... Any info.. ..Thanks

May 11, 2004 02:58 PM|chrisad|LINK

Hey~ This is odd that you do not get any event error information. That should not happen if you are actually seeing the process exit. Is this occurring? On IIS 6.0, you have unique worker processes that are associated per application pool. My suggestion, because I lack an understanding of the actual summary of what is occurring, is to isolate your applications into dedicated application pools. For example, assume you have this setup: Default App Pool - Default Web Site Application (Right-click on Web Site, Home Directory, Application Setting) HR Application Purchasing Application IT Application In this scenario, you have all applications sharing the application space including all ASP actions and CLR related applications. ------------------------------------------------------ Now, break this down further to isolate the applications by doing this - Default App Pool - Default Web Site HR Application - HR App Purchasing Application - Purchasing App etc... You can change the application pool by clicking Home Directory | Virtual Directory and then choosing Application Pool drop-down. After you do some isolation, then possibly we will know which application is failing and then we can get more data regarding to the matter. HTH,
    ~Chris
    Program Manager
    IIS Product Unit (Microsoft)