We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

microsoft ole db provider for sql server working on local machine but not on the serverRSS

5 replies

Last post Apr 15, 2021 09:24 AM by samwu

• microsoft ole db provider for sql server working on local machine but not on the server

Apr 14, 2021 02:31 PM|gnaniwars1|LINK

We have an application which uses microsoft ole db provider for sql server  to read data from sql server. 

After our DBA team disabled TLS 1.0 and TLS 1.1 

Application on the server stopped working and when I tried connecting to database using Microsoft ole db provider for sql server  I received below error 

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error

But when I am able to connect to the same database and same driver without any issues from my local machine. 

I am not sure why the same connection works on one machine but not on another, any inputs are appreciated

• Re: microsoft ole db provider for sql server working on local machine but not on the server

Apr 14, 2021 03:01 PM|lextm|LINK

https://blog.catchpoint.com/2017/05/12/dissecting-tls-using-wireshark/

Learn how to analyze TLS handshakes using a tool like Wireshark, and then you can easily find out what's wrong on certain machines.

Lex Li
    Want to have a chat on the issues you meet? Book an appointment at https://buy.stripe.com/cN24ia0yi7sAdIA7sv
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Re: microsoft ole db provider for sql server working on local machine but not on the server

Apr 15, 2021 01:30 AM|samwu|LINK

Hi gnaniwars1,

gnaniwars1

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (SECDoClientHandshake()).]SSL Security error

The first step towards resolving the SSL Security error, is to make sure that the version of the target SQL Server instance you want to connect to, is supported by the driver.

For example, Microsoft OLE DB Driver 18.1 for SQL Server supports connecting to SQL Server 2012 or later.

For older versions of SQL Server, you will need to find an earlier version of Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server as well.

You can find the latest version of the OLE DB driver here.

Best regards,

Sam

IIS.NET forums are moving to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, we encourage you to go to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today. Learn more >

Apr 15, 2021 03:31 AM|gnaniwars1|LINK

Hi Sam,

Thank you for your inputs.

i have installed the latest drivers present and connecting to sql server 2019 database.

I have installed same drivers present on my machine and installed them on the server and I am unable to determine why it works on machine but not on the server.

Thanks

Gyan

Apr 15, 2021 03:33 AM|gnaniwars1|LINK

Thanks for your inputs, I will check with my admin if they are any tools present.

Apr 15, 2021 09:24 AM|samwu|LINK

Hi gnaniwars1,

gnaniwars1

Thanks for your inputs, I will check with my admin if they are any tools present.

You can refer to lextm's suggestion to use Wireshark to dissect TLS.

Best regards,

Sam

IIS.NET forums are moving to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, we encourage you to go to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today. Learn more >