We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Broken Cert at Website but not in IISRSS

2 replies

Last post Mar 23, 2021 06:26 AM by lextm

• Broken Cert at Website but not in IIS

Mar 22, 2021 01:47 PM|jclingo|LINK

I have a CA Root-signed certificate that is bound to 443 for my website. Using Chrome, When I access the site I still get a "this is not private" warning. I click the "Not Secure" warning and select the "certificate" option. It shows a broken cert/cert chain. 

Can anyone help me understand this?

Thanks!

• Re: Broken Cert at Website but not in IIS

Mar 23, 2021 04:14 AM|samwu|LINK

Hi jclingo,

jclingo

I have a CA Root-signed certificate that is bound to 443 for my website. Using Chrome, When I access the site I still get a "this is not private" warning. I click the "Not Secure" warning and select the "certificate" option. It shows a broken cert/cert chain. 

Chrome will return this error if the certificate is not a trusted ca certificate. I think you could just ignore this issue until you need to expose the website to public and use a public CA certificate for this website.

Of course, you could add the self-signed cerificate to chrome ca store:

https://superuser.com/questions/1083766/how-do-i-deal-with-neterr-cert-authority-invalid-in-chrome.

Best regards,

Sam

IIS.NET forums are moving to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, we encourage you to go to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today. Learn more >
  • Re: Broken Cert at Website but not in IIS

Mar 23, 2021 06:26 AM|lextm|LINK

You have to run a report and share that with others. Without nobody knows what kind of certificate you installed.

The error message indicates that you might have forgotten to install intermediate certificates following the instructions of your certificate authority. Review what they provided and confirm you have followed every single step.

Lex Li
    Want to have a chat on the issues you meet? Book an appointment at https://buy.stripe.com/cN24ia0yi7sAdIA7sv
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.