Azure DevOps (GIT) with Classic ASP on W2K19 - Application variables erased after deployRSS

2 replies

Last post Sep 10, 2020 07:38 AM by AWSAlanD

‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›
  • Azure DevOps (GIT) with Classic ASP on W2K19 - Application variables erased after deploy

Sep 09, 2020 04:30 PM|AWSAlanD|LINK

Hello Everyone

To reliably support some ciphers for TLS 1.2 we had to upgrade our W2K12 servers to W2K19.  Having done so, now when we deploy from Azure DevOps it seems that the application variables are removed from our running Classic ASP application.

The VSTS agent was also upgraded one some servers but the problem (we think) exhibits on the ones where it wasn't.

I originally thought that maybe GIT was deleting the global.asa and the AppPool recycling without one, but we have logging of AppPool recycling enabled for all recycling conditions and nothing is being logged.

It's as if the agent is firing this on all app pools or something: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.web.httpapplicationstate.removeall?view=netframework-4.8

Has anyone come across this before, seems most bizarre and now renders our Classic ASP application as 'undeployable to', which is quite serious for our product that is servicing about 2.5M customers.

Thanks in advance of any help you can provide.

Alan

• Re: Azure DevOps (GIT) with Classic ASP on W2K19 - Application variables erased after deploy

Sep 10, 2020 02:34 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Application variables last for the duration of the Web Application, this means that only stopping the Web Application will reset them.

Everything in the list will cause the Application object to reset:

- Manually stopping the Web Application in IIS.

- Stopping the World Wide Web Publishing Service.

- Restarting the Web Server.

I couldn't find the article which shows how to deploy classic asp on azure dev ops.

Besides, I suggest you could post this issue on the Azure DevOps MSDN forum, I think this question is mainly related to Azure DevOps support program language.

https://developercommunity.visualstudio.com/spaces/21/index.html 

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.
  • Re: Azure DevOps (GIT) with Classic ASP on W2K19 - Application variables erased after deploy

Sep 10, 2020 07:38 AM|AWSAlanD|LINK

Thanks.  I included a link to methods that also remove application variables, it is possible programmatically in Classic ASP and ASP.NET.

Recycling the App Pool also causes the application to "restart".

Our deployment set-up is or was sound.  It is the upgrading of the webservers to Windows 2019 that seems to have introduced this strange problem.

If you have had a website with a Global.asa that sets application variables and then had an occurrence where the global.asa is not executed, so some application variables are empty or not set - _that_ is what we are experiencing.  It's like the app has started but the global.asa has been ignored.  Nothing is logged however to indicate that the app pool or w3svc process has restarted through.

Thanks again, will head over to DevOps but anticipating "classic ASP what ...?" :-)

‹ Previous Thread|Next Thread ›