How do make a ClickOnce deployment work from IIS 8, with MS Edge [Answered]RSS

1 reply

Last post Jun 30, 2020 06:30 AM by Jalpa Panchal

• How do make a ClickOnce deployment work from IIS 8, with MS Edge

Jun 29, 2020 09:27 PM|Rod At Work|LINK

We're moving from using Internet Explorer as our default web browser, to the Chromium version of Microsoft Edge. I think this is a great move and I welcome it.

However, today I noticed that desktop applications we've written, that use ClickOnce deployment, aren't working with MS Edge like they did using IE. I'm working on a laptop that doesn't have some of our ClickOnce deployed apps on it, so I was trying to install them on my laptop. Instead of running the Setup.exe program from its location on the server (where all of the rest of the files required for a ClickOnce deployment are found), MS Edge wanted to download the Setup.exe locally. I went ahead and tried it, but it failed pretty miserably. The ClickOnce deployment couldn't find the rest of the files that comprise the ClickOnce deployment. They're all back on the server. I knew how to get around the problem, but I'm sure that the hundreds of employees we have that will use these apps, won't be able to figure it out.

So, how do I make it so that going to a page, like the publish.htm page which points to the Setup.exe, will run the Setup.exe from the server, rather than try to download it to the user's local machine?

• Re: How do make a ClickOnce deployment work from IIS 8, with MS Edge

Jun 30, 2020 06:30 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi,

You can't run that app on the client machine from your server, meaning you can't have someone browse to your site and have that app run on their machine. That would be a major security risk. if you want to run the app user must first download the exe file and then run the executable.

if you want to run on your machine then you just need to set the application pool user permission and set handler mapping to execute the file.

Regards,

Jalpa

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.