IIS launching neverending RUNDLL32 processRSS

4 replies

Last post Jun 16, 2020 02:10 AM by Yuk Ding

• IIS launching neverending RUNDLL32 process

Jun 12, 2020 06:20 AM|gillesg77|LINK

Hi,

on my 3 servers, I have without any understable reason RunDLL32 process stacking and eating 100% of one cpu core at a time 

I kwow this is IIS because I created a specific user for the anonymous access, and this user is the one running the "RunDLL32" process....

Unless we kill thos process manually, they are stacking and at some point using every cpu and stalling the server.

Any idea besides using Apache ;-)

Thanks !

Gilles

• Re: IIS launching neverending RUNDLL32 process

Jun 12, 2020 03:38 PM|lextm|LINK

gillesg77

I kwow this is IIS

IIS can be a scapegoat here, as its own source code does not call RUNDLL32. What kind of application are you hosting? Dig into that and you probably can find the clues.

Lex Li
    Affordable IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Jun 15, 2020 02:12 AM|Yuk Ding|LINK

Hi gillesg77,

Please use process explorer and check its command parameter. So that we may know what dll it is loading. As lex said, IIS don't load rundll32.exe by default. So it is important to find the library that cause this issue.

Of course, capture a dump snapshot for the high CPU process may find the root cause.

Besides, have you tried to set app pool identity to local host or enable 32-bit application for your application?

Best Regards,

Jokies Ding

Yuk Ding

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.

Jun 15, 2020 01:11 PM|gillesg77|LINK

Using process explorer, I noticed, that those threads are printer related, there has to be some problem with some printer drivers!

I will move forward investigating the problem!

Thanks again to both of you!

Jun 16, 2020 02:10 AM|Yuk Ding|LINK

Hi gillesg77,

If the reply is helpful, it is so appreciated if you could mark it as answer.

Best Regards,

Jokies Ding

Yuk Ding

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.