Problem Adding Negative Numbers [Answered]RSS

5 replies

Last post Feb 19, 2020 09:48 AM by CamTW

• Problem Adding Negative Numbers

Feb 06, 2020 11:20 AM|CamTW|LINK

Hi

But stuck for a while now on this, any help would be much appreciated. I've been asked to update an old site that runs a sales report to allow negative numbers.
    The page runs fine using positive numbers but as soon as a negative number is sumbitted it throws a mismatch error.
    Microsoft VBScript runtime
    error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'CSng'

Here is an a example of one of the lines of code causing a problem have spent a while looking and don't know what I'm missing?

TotalSales = CSng(Cash1) + CSng(Card1) + CSng(Web1)

Thanks

• Re: Problem Adding Negative Numbers

Feb 07, 2020 06:45 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi,

The CSng function Converts an expression to a variant of subtype Single.

CamTW

Microsoft VBScript runtime error '800a000d'

Type mismatch: 'CSng'

The error indicates the type mismatch. make sure you enter the numbers not character. 

I can not reproduce your issue. could you please share the whole code?

you could also try below sample code:

<html>
    <body>

<form method="post">
    First number:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <input type="text" name="no1" size="20" />
    &nbsp;
    <p>
    Second number: <input type="text" name="no2" size="20" />
    &nbsp;</p>
    <p>

</p>
    <p>&nbsp;
    <input type="submit" name="submit"  value="submit" />
    </p>

</form>
     <%
    btnv=Request.form("submit")

If btnv = "submit" Then

dim n1,n2,n3 
    n1=cint(Request.form("no1"))
    n2=cint(Request.form("no2"))
    n3=n1+n2
    Response.write(n3)
    End If
    %>
    </body>
    </html>

To learn more about the function you could refer this below link:

https://www.w3schools.com/asp/asp_ref_vbscript_functions.asp

Regards,

Jalpa

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Feb 07, 2020 11:23 AM|CamTW|LINK

Hi Jalpa,

Thanks very much for help, I could run you example with out any problem but the page we have is dealling with money so has to be able to handle 2.50 etc so not able to use Cint.

The page has over 1000 line of code to have tried to condense the relevant bit below:

Submission form:

<html>
    <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8">
    <title>Untitled Document</title>
    </head>
    <body>
    <form action="processform.asp" method="post" id="ddr"> <input type="hidden" name="id" value="1"> <input type="hidden" name="formName" value="form1"> <table class="table table-striped table-hover table-sm border"> <tr> <td>Name</td> <td align="center">Code</td> <td align="center">Cash</td> <td align="center">Card</td> <td align="center">Web</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Item 1 <input type="hidden" name="ItemName1" value="Item1"> <input type="hidden" name="Item1" value="1"> <input type="hidden" name="ItemCode1" value="R9470.034"> <input type="hidden" name="VatCode1" value="s"> <input type="hidden" name="Vat1" value="0.166666667"></td> <td align="center">R9470.034</td> <td align="center"><input type="number" placeholder="0.00" name="cash1" min="-1000" step="0.01" title="Currency" pattern="^[\-]{0,1}[0-9]+[\.][0-9]+|[\-]{0,1}[0-9]+$" style="width:100px; text-align:right;"></td> <td align="center"><input type="number" placeholder="0.00" name="card1" min="-1000" step="0.01" title="Currency" pattern="^[\-]{0,1}[0-9]+[\.][0-9]+|[\-]{0,1}[0-9]+$" style="width:100px; text-align:right;"></td> <td align="center"><input type="number" placeholder="0.00" name="web1" min="-1000" step="0.01" title="Currency" pattern="^[\-]{0,1}[0-9]+[\.][0-9]+|[\-]{0,1}[0-9]+$" style="width:100px; text-align:center;"></td> </tr> <tr> <!-- Free Form END--> <tr> <td colspan="5" align="right"><input type="submit" value="Submit DRR"></td> </tr> </table> </form> </body> </html>

Processing Code:

<%@LANGUAGE="VBSCRIPT"%> 
    <%Session.LCID = 2057%>

<%
    Function cleanUpText(txt)

If IsNull(txt) Then
            txt = 0
            End If

if IsNumeric(txt) = false then 
    	txt = 0
    	end if

cleanUpText = "0" + txt

End Function

'Code for replacing "'" within names etc
    Function StrQuoteReplace(strValue)
    		StrQuoteReplace = Replace(strValue, "'", "''")
    End Function

%>

<%
       Dim Cash1,Card1,Web1 

Item1 = StrQuoteReplace(Request.form("Item1"))
    ItemName1 = StrQuoteReplace(Request.form("ItemName1"))
    ItemCode1 = StrQuoteReplace(Request.form("ItemCode1"))
    VatCode1 = StrQuoteReplace(Request.form("VatCode1"))
    Vat1 =  cleanUpText(StrQuoteReplace(Request.form("Vat1")))

Cash1 = cleanUpText(StrQuoteReplace(Request.form("Cash1")))
    Card1 = cleanUpText(StrQuoteReplace(Request.form("Card1")))
    Web1 = cleanUpText(StrQuoteReplace(Request.form("Web1")))
    VatAmount1 = (CSng(Cash1)+CSng(Card1)+CSng(Web1))*Vat1

%>

<%=VatAmount1%>

If I was to submit the values 10 , 10 ,10 it works perfectly but if any of those were a negative value that give me the mismatch error.

Thanks Again

Feb 10, 2020 02:49 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi,

I tried your code I am getting an error on Type mismatch: 'StrQuoteReplace'.

if in your code you have a float number then you could use CDbl instead of CInt.

below is the error.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Feb 19, 2020 01:32 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi,

Is your issue solved?

If your issue is solved then I request you to mark the helpful suggestion as an answer. This will help other people who face the same issue.

If your issue still exists then try to refer the solution given by the community members.

If then also you have any further questions then let us know about it.

We will try to provide further suggestions to solve the issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Jalpa.

MSDN Community Support

Feb 19, 2020 09:48 AM|CamTW|LINK

Hi Jalpa,

Thanks again for yout help, everything seems to be working now it was a small change to one of the functions checking the submitted form had a value or was numeric that was I think returing a string that was causing the problem.

Thansk!