Where are 403 errors logged on the DENYING server?RSS

1 reply

Last post Oct 09, 2019 02:49 AM by Jalpa Panchal

• Where are 403 errors logged on the DENYING server?

Oct 08, 2019 11:48 PM|andyew|LINK

I'm trying to diagnose an error between two servers in the same network. IIS 8. Server 2012 R2

I have a web server POST to a receiving server.

The POST is getting a 403 Forbidden. There is no sub error e.g. 403.X.

I expect the receiving server to be logging something somewhere.

I've looked through Event viewer and nothing obvious. I looked through the IIS logs on the receiving server. Nothing there either.

The POST is to another web Application(proprietary) that in turn should be receiving the information from the POST and logging that data in an ElasticSearch database.

Is the absence of a sub error an indication the error is generated by the receiving application rather than a Windows\Network authentication issue? Should I see if the Receiving application has a log?

Thanks for your help.

• Re: Where are 403 errors logged on the DENYING server?

Oct 09, 2019 02:49 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi,

You could try to use failed request tracing https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/troubleshoot/using-failed-request-tracing/troubleshooting-failed-requests-using-tracing-in-iis.

to get the sub status code make sure that you check the substatus code field in iis logs.

make sure directory browsing is enabled.

Could you share which authentication method you are using, iis application pool identity detail and detailed error message snapshot? 

Clear your browser's cache, cookie and history. Check for URL errors and make sure you're specifying an actual web page file name and extension, not just a directory.

Regards,

Jalpa

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.