Moving from CGI to FastCGIRSS

2 replies

Last post Sep 27, 2019 03:14 AM by Jalpa Panchal

• Moving from CGI to FastCGI

Sep 26, 2019 02:52 PM|BLaing|LINK

Hey all,

Have what will hopefully be an easy question. Running an old website right now on IIS 8.5 that uses Python. The site has a script map configured for the python scripts, and it just passes them directly to the Python executable with the standard arguments (-u "%s" "%s") for any requests to those scripts. The problem is, that process is slow, and it queues up each request and only does 1 at a time. For performance reasons, I'm wondering if migrating to FastCGI is possible. 

Problem is, I'm not a developer, and my IIS admin experience is limited to say the least. Looking around, it seems most information online related to FastCGI is focused on PHP. What I have found for Python is quite a bit more complex than I need. Is there a simple (rough) equivalent to the script mapping setup for FastCGI? 

Thanks!

• Re: Moving from CGI to FastCGI

Sep 26, 2019 02:58 PM|lextm|LINK

FastCGI is significantly different from CGI, so I think you do need a Python developer to help.

Lex Li
    Affordable IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Re: Moving from CGI to FastCGI

Sep 27, 2019 03:14 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi,

As Lex Li said FCGI protocol is different from CGI. That's why the simple change from FCGI to CGI didn't work.

You could refer this below link for more detail.

Configure FastCGI for Python

In my opinion, instead of moving python from CGI to fcgi you can try to find out the reason why it's slow and try to increase the performance of the site. 

Could you share your iis python site binding detail? 

Regards,

Jalpa

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.