VD and Web.Config file [Answered]RSS

6 replies

Last post Sep 30, 2019 02:25 AM by Jalpa Panchal

• VD and Web.Config file

Sep 18, 2019 11:01 AM|JERitter|LINK

Howdy,

First and foremost I am... not a expert on this. I can slowly but surely code a site but IIS is painfully new to me. Soooo gentle? Haha. Anywho.

I have a IIS6 based website I just brutally copy and pasted into IIS10.

For the most part, the "Core" site is fine, it works, though some hiccups with 32 vs 64 bit, etc. It's working.

but, I have a VD that just... wont...work.

I've tested with and without credentials, I've confirmed the "default document" is the right htm file. And nothing gets it to load the HTM file. I've even created another VD and set it up to point to a new HTM file type.

I'm getting

"Server Error '/' Application

Error occured processing the config file

parse error: failed to start monitoring changes to the config file, access denied

source error [no relevant source lines]

I've provided two different credential types, one is a generic admin account, and one is my own, both bounce back this error message. For me I am confused, one part is telling me the credentials are wrong (but if I strip them, I get a COMPLETELY different that basicaly boils down to "Cannot read config file because of insufficient permissions"

Am I missing something just as simple? Am I setting up the VD wrong? 

• Re: VD and Web.Config file

Sep 18, 2019 02:25 PM|lextm|LINK

Lex Li
    IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sep 19, 2019 02:53 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi,

As lex li said you could first try to use web deploy to take back up.

You could install web deploy using wep platform installer or manually from this link

after installing it run Command prompt as administrator.

then run below command to enter the web deploy directory:

cd C:\Program Files\IIS\Microsoft Web Deploy V3

run below command to take back up of the site:

msdeploy -verb:sync -source:iisapp="sample1" -dest:package=D:\Site1.zip

unzip the folder and restore the site in iis 10.

and could you please share which authentication you are using, which application pool identity you are using and which permission is you assign to the virtual directory and the iis site? 

how to configure virtual directory with iis 10?

to check the application pool identity you could follow the below steps:

1)open iis manager.

2)select application pools and select your application pool name from the middle pane.

3)select advance setting from the cation pane.

Regards,

Jalpa

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Sep 19, 2019 02:53 PM|JERitter|LINK

Alright, got it packaged.

Running into a difficulty with a MSSharepoint App Pool as not existing hmmm trying to deploy the package. Even though, after having gone thru just the two relevant virtual directories, and all relevant files related to the active website. Nothing inherently appears to call anything related to sharepoint. I'm wondering if it's because others have done things, and change things in the past and these are simply hooks to items that no longer exist... 

Identity is based on ApplicationPoolIdentity. 

I'm still trying to figure out my authentication, because theirs a extra user that exists in 6.0 but not 10.0 as a IIS User, but I don't have that, I have a IIS Group. 

But thank you two for your replies. It is helpful :) If not tough to absorb and learn. 

Sep 19, 2019 03:24 PM|lextm|LINK

JERitter

Running into a difficulty with a MSSharepoint App Pool as not existing

If this is a SharePoint server, then Web Deploy won't help you much. The proper way to upgrade SharePoint is its own migration approach. Generic IIS approach does not apply to SharePoint stuffs.

Lex Li
    IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Sep 25, 2019 10:54 AM|JERitter|LINK

Negative. The Actual site is not share point based. Strictly speaking it is old HTML (what? version 2, mix of 3?) and a small ASP setup for a phonebook db. The other two VDs are very basic in of themselves, some frames n such. Both of those two are updated still by someone using Word, and not stored on the WebServer directly, but on a file server. 

No success with trying to find a way to remove the SharePoint App. I'm beginning to think I should just do a purge, but until I figure out how my permission stack has to be, I don't think I'll get much success.

So where do I start? The Core Website works, in this case, called Orion. When I try to talk to say, a plain test VD, I get--wait a holy bloody duck.

Okay, I totally ignored one of our VDs, didn't even SEE it, because well, theirs like a mess of inactive JUNK thats accumilated many trial and error projects... but well. hmm. Maybe I fixed it.

OOKAY. I went as described in 2nd reply. 

I went to my APP Pool, and under that, Identiy, I changed it to a specific user. In this case, a OLD user that still exists, but was generated for another server application for ticketing, well. Setting that, and making sure my physical path credentials were cleared out to application user... I no longer get errors, or a 404 error. SOOO it seems I fixed my permissions stack. Well. 

hmm... I guess I need more sleep. Still you guys were very damn helpful. It got my thinking, which is important. Thank you! Just to clarify, I need to make sure my credentials start at the Application Pools, I take it? If this is correct, I can move forward, awesome.

Sep 30, 2019 02:25 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi,

Is your issue solved?

If your issue is solved then I request you to mark the helpful suggestion as an answer. This will help other people who face the same issue.

If your issue still exists then try to refer the solution given by the community members.

If then also you have any further questions then let us know about it.

We will try to provide further suggestions to solve the issue.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Jalpa.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.