We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

how to set up SMTP to receive incoming email to C:\inetpub\mailroot\Drop\RSS

3 replies

Last post Aug 14, 2019 05:15 AM by Jalpa Panchal

• how to set up SMTP to receive incoming email to C:\inetpub\mailroot\Drop\

Aug 13, 2019 05:42 AM|_Doug|LINK

When I send email from Internet to my Windows Server 2016 computer, nothing arrives in:

C:\inetpub\mailroot\Drop\

Wireshark shows that TCP with the SMTP arrives at my Windows Server 2016, but it doesn't get to drop\.

And, my external test email that I sent from Internet to my server bounced and came back "undeliverable ... Your message wasn't delivered because the destination email system rejected your message for security or policy reasons." – the error from my server is “5.7.1 unable to relay.”

This is a new Windows Server 2016 instance of an AWS EC2 virtual server.

I used Server Manager to add SMTP roll.

I used Internet Info Svc 6.0 Manager to start SMTP.

I used control panel > Admin tools > Services > to set Simple Mail Trans Proto service to auto-start.

I have restarted the server. 

UPDATE *********

Just discovered that incoming SMTP email files (*.EML) are stuck in C:\inetpub\mailroot\Queue\ instead of going to C:\inetpub\mailroot\Drop\)

• Re: how to set up SMTP to receive incoming email to C:\inetpub\mailroot\Drop\

Aug 14, 2019 02:45 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi,

Did you set any permission in IIS Smtp server? and which version of IIS you are using? You could enable logging for more detailed. 

To resolve file stuck in the queue you could try below steps:

• Open iis manager, SMTP server.
    • Properties > Delivery > Outbound Connections. The option for a Limit number of connections to was checked and the value was 0. So it was configured to never make any outbound connections, causing the emails to never leave the server. Uncheck the option.
    • Restart the IIs SMTP server.

Regards,

Jalpa

.NET forums are moving to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, we encourage you to go to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.

Aug 14, 2019 04:06 AM|_Doug|LINK

Greetings, Jalpa!

Thanks for responding.  

Did you set any permission in IIS Smtp server?  NO.  I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IIS SMTP PERMISSIONS.

and which version of IIS you are using?   >>> Microsoft Internet Information Services 10.0

You could enable logging for more detailed.    DID THAT YESTERDAY.

Aug 14, 2019 05:15 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Could you share your iis SMTP setting snapshot as below?

to do that select site or server for which you enable SMTP service. Select SMTP E-mail from the feature view.

and also share the iis log detail what it shows. 

.NET forums are moving to a new home on Microsoft Q&A, we encourage you to go to Microsoft Q&A for .NET for posting new questions and get involved today.