webdeploy - what is wrong with it???? RSS

4 replies

Last post Jun 11, 2019 07:23 AM by lafar6502

• webdeploy - what is wrong with it????

Jun 10, 2019 12:20 PM|lafar6502|LINK

I cant remember any good experience with webdeploy installation. Every time i set up windows and IIS i struggle to get webdeploy to run. The installation procedure is vague and unclear, there are multiple methods for installing, multiple versions, multiple different instructions and multiple sources for downloading the installer. Why cant Microsoft decide on one official way of adding that? Apart from that, after installing, the damned thing refuses to work and throws unexplained errors at me. Today it's 404, there are multiple possible causes but none of remedies posted online seem to work. Uninstalling, reinstalling, messing with another version - no luck. Half a day wasted. Half a day previous time, with slightly different errors. 

And how i'm supposed to know what exactly is wrong? It throws error 404 and thats it - 404 and deal with it, not explained anywhere, no mention of what operation failed, no file name, nothing!!! this is just ridiculous how useless this whole thing is. cant anyone come up with anything better?

• Re: webdeploy - what is wrong with it????

Jun 11, 2019 01:42 AM|Able|LINK

Hi lafar6502

According to your description, it seems that Installing webdeploy brings you a very poor user experience.However ,the process of learning new things is always difficult.So it is important for us to be impatient.

When I firstly use  webdeloy ,I just follow the steps in the link as below:

https://www.assistanz.com/steps-to-migrate-the-websites-from-iis-7-5-to-iis-10/

It's a good link, I think it will be helpful to you.

Have a nice day.

Best Regards

Able

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Jun 11, 2019 05:30 AM|lafar6502|LINK

Hi Able, the problem is that i'm not doing this for the first time, it's several times and it's never gone smoothly. The difference is that in the meantime there are some infrastructure changes - switching Windows Server version, or .Net version, or hosting server.. And i constantly waste a lot of time installing this and trying to get it to run.

This time it was Windows 2016 server, and it came with web deploy already added as a part of IIS role - at least this is what i saw in the web platform installer. Nevertheless, it didnt work... then i start doing the standard procedure - get web platform installer, pick a version - 3.5? 3.6? 3.5 with SQL ? or maybe 3.6 for hosting providers? nevermind, ended up installing 3 of them, no improvement. Then had to uninstall everything, uninstall IIS Management service and reinstall it - then suddenly it started working. I suppose the web deploy is very picky about the order of installation of various supporting components + no information about problems/errors and no easy way to verify where the trouble is and the end result is a lottery and guessing game when trying to fix it. And the multitude of half-baked recipes on the Internet kind of confirms this.

R

Jun 11, 2019 07:14 AM|Able|LINK

HI, lafar6502,

According to your description,it shows webdelploy give your really poor user experience.

So I hope that you could provide  instruction for us to reproduce one of your situations and we will  let product group know about your  situation so that it will let  them improve user friendly of web deploy.

Best Regards

Able

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Jun 11, 2019 07:23 AM|lafar6502|LINK

I dont have a reproduction procedure, but can provide info how it went this time

• * configured new Windows 2016 server
    • * added IIS server role + IIS management service + ASP.Net 4.6
    • * then went to IIS admin console and created a website
    • * then went to web platform installer trying to set up web deploy, but it was already there (version 3.6 installed) - i think it was added by default as part of IIS management service
    • * then configured IIS manager permissions, added user for web deploy service, made sure firewall is properly configured
    • * then tried to publish a website - nope, error 404. The log file from web deploy says there was an error, 404, and nothing more. So the conclusion is that web deploy is working somehow because there is a log entry, but something is broken in its configuration
    • * the next step was trying to reinstall the web deploy via web platform installer, then by downloading some version from Microsoft, uninstalling and installing again - no improvement, still same error
    • * finally decided to uninstall IIS management service via windows installer, and uninstalled all web deploy versions i had installed
    • * and re-installed iiis management service - then web deploy started working
    • Suggestions to the team - if there is an error, provide better diagnostic information - what is missing, what operation failed and why, on what file. When installing, verify that IIS is configured properly, the correct .axd handler is set up or if it's there at all etc.