IIS and OWA 2019 - Excruciatingly slow [Answered]RSS

5 replies

Last post May 02, 2019 12:54 AM by thorsig

• IIS and OWA 2019 - Excruciatingly slow

Apr 12, 2019 10:56 AM|thorsig|LINK

Hi all,

I've got a fresh install of IIS/OWA2019 sitting on top of WS2019 acting as a AD controller and SP2019 Single-Farm server (this is a fancy SOHO setting if anything).

Here's a sample session from loading https://mydomain.xyz/owa until it finishes:

https://ibb.co/60sS60S <-- link to the image ( I'm too green to get the image-link right :/ )

As can be seen (hopefully :) ) the logon.aspx with a redirect URL as GET parameters takes 12.1 minutes to load!

That's crazy. So of course I wonder, what might be the cause of this? I haven't found anything concrete yet myself - I've tried to disable the CRL lookups for .NET 2.x in IIS, but to no avail.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks.

Thor

• Re: IIS and OWA 2019 - Excruciatingly slow

Apr 12, 2019 02:22 PM|lextm|LINK

None of Microsoft web products should be installed on an AD controller, so unless you reproduce the same slowness on an ordinary setup, there is little room for discussion.

Lex Li
    Affordable IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Apr 12, 2019 09:50 PM|thorsig|LINK

Consider the following facts:

• * Microsoft does not block installation of any of the aforementioned applications on an AD (they do however block some of the applications that do come with WS2019, so they seem to be pretty well aware of what is permissible and what is not.)
    • * Microsoft DOES warn that installation of ONE of the apps is "Not Recommended" (but in no way prohibited or fatal) - I don't remember which one - I just happened to read ALL the warnings while going through the process.
    • * OWA on mobile works just fine and is really snappy.
    • * Outlook (desktop AND mobile) work wonderfully.
    • * Only OWA on desktop doesn't work "as advertised" - that indicates (to me) that it's an IIS configuration problem. 

Of course, if I had money to burn and lots of hardware to spare, I might go down the yellow brick road of recommended actions - but I don't, so I can't. Please don't make your ability to throw money at the problem make the problem any less for me.

Apr 12, 2019 10:36 PM|thorsig|LINK

In addition to the slowness of the login window redirect, I also get this:

X-OWA-Error SrvErr:null,ClientErr:JsonParser is not defined,ValidResponse:true,SDIsNotNull:true,BracketsInPair:true,OwaUserConfigExists:true,SubStringFromLastLeftBracket:{"Id":"AAQkADI2NjJkNTg1LTNjZWEtNGNlZC04MzM3LTlmMzM1ZTI0MzYwNAAQAO4cOzYsDv1OkteXuF89yM8="},"LastDeliveryOrRenewTime":"2019-04-12T00:10:25Z"}],"IndexedOffset":12,"TotalConversationsInView":12}}}
    X-OWA-Version 15.2.221.12

I hope it's helpful.

Best,

Thor

Apr 15, 2019 06:27 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi Thor,

Firstly please check the configuration of IIS ARR and owa.please use Monitoring and Management page to view runtime statistics regarding the servers in the Application Request Routing (ARR) farm. Check IIS log or run Failed Request Tracing https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis/troubleshoot/using-failed-request-tracing/using-failed-request-tracing-rules-to-troubleshoot-application-request-routing-arr.

Regards,

Jalpa.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

May 02, 2019 12:54 AM|thorsig|LINK

Hi all, thanks for the patience. This has been a rollercoster ride to find what was the problem.

It turned out to be totally unrelated to IIS, although at first it only manifested itself in extreme IIS/OWA latencies. However, soon after install we started to notice file service latencies in the ridiculously slow neighbourhood as well.

A lot of trial and error (since there was no obvious culprit), I ended on trying to break the network bridge that had been set up (2 network interfaces bridged together as one). That solved the problem. Odd, but done.

Thanks all for good pointers.