IIS 7 and Above
IIS SSO stopped working, asking for Authentication repetitively
Last post Apr 26, 2019 11:37 AM by AdamKollar
Apr 09, 2019 08:54 AM|dsuyash08|LINK
I have set up our website on IIS 7.5, out of the blue single sign stopped working at all.Users are getting continuous popup for username/password. I tried every thing I could find on internet, following items have been checked: 1. Anonymous
authentication is disabled. Windows authentication is enabled. 2. My identity account in app pool is having access to the files and folders of web site, it is added as an admin in the server as well. 3. I cross checked the settings in internet explorer ->
internet options, they are in proper shape.
My website was working properly till yesterday, can anyone suggest what might have gone wrong? When I was setting it up for the first time, I faced the similar issue. I suspected because of my application pool it was happening, I tried/experimented with
the pool, (selecting default app pool then again selecting my newly created app pool) and it worked after few tries. This is really important for me, I would appreciate if any one can suggest something. I might be missing something in app pool.
I went through the log files as suggested by @LexLi: sc-status - 401 and sc-substatus 2, I dont know if I am referring to the information in this link correctly -https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/943891/the-http-status-code-in-iis-7-0-iis-7-5-and-iis-8-0 I
says 401.2 - Logon failed due to server configuration, but I have not made any changes on the server.
Apr 09, 2019 09:47 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK
Check that you use proper authentication method and your server and browser both are using the same authentication method or you are attempting to use NTLM through a proxy server.
You could see the below article solution:
Error Message: HTTP 401.2 - Unauthorized: Logon Failed Due to Server Configuration with No Authentication
Apr 23, 2019 09:18 AM|AdamKollar|LINK
I haven't figured it out yet, but I have absolutely the same issue with a website on IIS 8.5 too. SSO was working properly and since some days it started to ask for the user credentials during the openning of the site. Which is weird that even if I enter
the proper credentials it is not accepting it and continue asking it. However if I open the website from the same server where it is hosted, then SSO is suddenly working.
Please let me know if you manage to figure it out as our users are heavily rely on this functionality as well.
Apr 26, 2019 11:37 AM|AdamKollar|LINK
I actually found the solution in the meantime, so if you still have the problem you can try to do the following: