App Pool crash due to some thread is calling the TerminateProcess function to kill the process in ntdll.dllRSS

1 reply

Last post Jan 23, 2019 12:19 AM by lextm

• App Pool crash due to some thread is calling the TerminateProcess function to kill the process in...

Jan 21, 2019 02:15 AM|Kishore_228|LINK

Hi,

The App Pool, which is linked to our application, is getting crashed once or twice in a day in one of the production environments (OS: Windows server 2016). I have enabled the application trace and that didn't provide any clue of failure/exception/error so I believe there is no issue with the application. The same application works fine on other production accounts. I also believe that the problem is somewhere between IIS and our ISAPI extension.

I have then installed the Debug Diagnostics Tool on that environment and added a Crash rule for the App Pool and collected the dumps. I have analysed the debug dumps and found that there is an exception in ntdll.dll

The following threads in w3wp__XXXXPool__PID****__Date****_17_2019__Time_01_11_03PM****__Ntdll!ZwTerminateProcess.dmp are calling theTerminateProcess function to kill the process.

Call Stack

ntdll!NtTerminateProcess

KERNELBASE!TerminateProcess+27

our ISAPI Extension!DllUnregisterServer+2d8f0

our ISAPI Extension!DllUnregisterServer+2d945

our ISAPI Extension!DllUnregisterServer+2b661

our ISAPI Extension!DllUnregisterServer+2458a

our ISAPI Extension!DllUnregisterServer+26bb8

our ISAPI Extension!DllUnregisterServer+2895f

our ISAPI Extension!DllUnregisterServer+8ed3

our ISAPI Extension!DllUnregisterServer+906b

our ISAPI Extension!DllUnregisterServer+29765

our ISAPI Extension!DllUnregisterServer+297ef

kernel32!BaseThreadInitThunk+24

ntdll!__RtlUserThreadStart+2f

ntdll!_RtlUserThreadStart+1b

Any help in resolving this problem would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Kishore

• Re: App Pool crash due to some thread is calling the TerminateProcess function to kill the proces...

Jan 23, 2019 12:19 AM|lextm|LINK

Please open a support case via http://support.microsoft.com and work with Microsoft support team. Dump analysis is not trivial if you have no previous experience.

Lex Li
    Affordable IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.