IIS Manager with Smart Card to remote web server? [Answered]RSS

3 replies

Last post Jan 16, 2019 10:50 PM by LittleNickey

• IIS Manager with Smart Card to remote web server?

Jan 10, 2019 04:18 PM|LittleNickey|LINK

I'd like to manage a IIS server remotely with the IIS Manager. When selecting "Connect to Server" I get prompted for user name and password, which works fine, however I'd like to use a smart card here instead.

Is this at all possible? Should I be looking at the "Client Certificate Mapping Authentication" or is that only for websites, not IIS Manager?

Thanks.

• Re: IIS Manager with Smart Card to remote web server?

Jan 11, 2019 09:07 AM|Jalpa Panchal|LINK

Hi LittleNickey,

We could set Client Certificate Mapping Authentication for a site as suggested in this article:
    https://support.oneidentity.com/active-roles/kb/225324/how-to-configure-iis-to-leverage-smart-card-authentication

For a workaround you could try to configure that client certificate with remote management service by following below steps:
    1.open IIS manager select server node.
    2.select management service.
    3.ssl certificate.

Regards,

Jalpa.

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Jan 13, 2019 05:51 AM|mahamr|LINK

IIS Manager only support username/password authentication. There is no way to use client certs, Kerberos, or any other auth mechanism for it. And last I checked with the devs, there are no plans to change this. 

You might instead look into the IIS Administration portal:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/iis-administration/

Jan 16, 2019 10:50 PM|LittleNickey|LINK

That’s a bummer, thanks for the answer though!

I will definitely look into the IIS Admin Portal, thanks for the tip!