We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

KB4338421 kills .NET .DLLs (interop) RSS

6 replies

Last post Jul 20, 2018 05:11 AM by deepakpanchal10

• KB4338421 kills .NET .DLLs (interop)

Jul 18, 2018 12:09 PM|RvdH|LINK

We are experiencing the following problem after installing the July'18 updates and particularly KB4338421 on our server running Windows 2012, we receive the error 0x800A01AD "ActiveX component can't create object" on a few .NET Com Interop DLL's written by myself. Uninstalling KB4338421 fixes this, but that can't be the proper solution.....

Anyone knows how to fix this?

• Re: KB4338421 kills .NET .DLLs (interop)

Jul 18, 2018 12:37 PM|lextm|LINK

Whether you work for a company or not, please open a support case via http://support.microsoft.com to reach Microsoft for latest information.

Try to install other patches, such as https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4345425/improvements-and-fixes-windows-server-2012 before applying KB4338421.

Lex Li
    Want to have a chat on the issues you meet? Book an appointment at https://buy.stripe.com/cN24ia0yi7sAdIA7sv
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Jul 18, 2018 12:53 PM|RvdH|LINK

I have found other users with same problems/symptoms, going to try suggested changes described below

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51289285/how-do-i-properly-instantiate-32-bit-com-objects-in-classic-asp-after-installing

Jul 18, 2018 01:43 PM|RvdH|LINK

Changing the settings as described above, eg:

IIS > Authentication > Anonymous Authentication - Edit > "Application pool identity"

sees to fix the issues i had with 0x800A01AD "ActiveX component can't create object"

But do i really have to change that for hundreds of websites?
    Anyway to do that in a batch or through the command line? I can't really believe that changing the IIS default behavior to apply the IUSR to Anonymous Authentication is the proper fix for this issue

Jul 19, 2018 03:16 AM|deepakpanchal10|LINK

Hi RvdH,

you had asked,"Anyway to do that in a batch or through the command line?"

You can try to use AppCmd to execute command below to set  anonymous user identity as Application pool identity in IIS.

c:\windows\system32\inetsrv\appcmd.exe set config  -section:system.webServer/security/authentication/anonymousAuthentication /userName:""  /commit:apphost

Reference:

Is it possible to configure IIS to always default Anonymous authentication to use application pool identity?

Disclaimer: This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites; therefore, Microsoft cannot make any representations regarding the quality, safety, or suitability of any software or information found there. There are inherent dangers in the use of any software found on the Internet, and Microsoft cautions you to make sure that you completely understand the risk before retrieving any software from the Internet.

Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Jul 19, 2018 11:45 AM|RvdH|LINK

Thank you deepak

Think I gonna wait for a while before I change the permissions in IIS as it seems Microsoft now is aware of the issue with the July 2018 Security and Quality Rollup updates for .NET Framework

https://support.microsoft.com/am-et/help/4345913/access-denied-errors-after-installing-july-2018-security-rollup-update

Jul 20, 2018 05:11 AM|deepakpanchal10|LINK

Hi RVDH,

You had mentioned that,"Think I gonna wait for a while before I change the permissions in IIS as it seems Microsoft now is aware of the issue with the July 2018 Security and Quality Rollup updates for .NET Framework".

I suggest you to update the status of this thread, Once you decide to take any further action to solve this issue.

It can help us to know the current progress for your issue.

If you find any solution then also try to post it and mark it as an answer.

So if any other community member have same issue then they can also get the solution from your post.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.