IISRESET results in W3SVC stuck in stopping status after July 2018 patches [Answered]RSS

82 replies

Last post Aug 20, 2018 06:34 PM by shanebarber

• IISReset Issues after July 2018 Patches

Jul 13, 2018 03:16 PM|dlanders1|LINK

[Repost from Technet]

Greetings,

I hope this is an appropriate place to pose this question (moderate away if needed)...

I am seeing an issue with IIS resets in Win2012 R2 after the July 2018 patches were installed in dev/test. If I issue an IIS reset either via inetmgr or command line, the w3wp.exe process is killed in Task Manager but the WWW publishing service stays in a stopping state. I haven't seen anyone mention this anywhere so I wanted to check with the community to see if I am the only one and if there are any thoughts on what the cause might be.

We found that rolling back the patches seems to fix the issue but not every server seems affected. Our Infra team found that recalling KB4338824 was enough to fix the issue on some servers but not all. I did also see that some folks reported issues installing KB4340558 but we did not have any problems with that. It's worth adding that one of our vendors informed us they had clients with similar issues but it doesn't appear app-specific as other systems experienced issues as well.

Here's what went in:

KB4338824

KB4338815

KB4340006

KB4339093

KB4340558

KB890830

Other than the reset, we're not seeing any other odd behavior and IIS starts normally on reboot. Please let me know if anyone else is seeing this, or if there are ideas of what the cause may be. Of course if there is more info I can provide that would be helpful please let me know that as well and I'll do my best to accommodate. Thanks in advance!

• IISRESET results in W3SVC stuck in stopping status after July 2018 patches

Jul 13, 2018 04:03 PM|Mark_9_1_1974|LINK

Seeing that any time IISRESET is issued on a Windows 2008 R2 server after applying the following security updates (see list below) the W3SVC (World Wide Web Publishing Service) gets stuck in a stopping status.  Have seen other services also get into this stuck status, but predominantly W3SVC.  Cannot kill the process; have to reboot to correct until next IISRESET occurs.  :-(

Anyone know which KB this is tied to and if there is any update on a fix?

-KB4338612

-KB4338823

-KB4339093
    -KB4338606

• Re: IISRESET results in W3SVC stuck in stopping status after July 2018 patches

Jul 13, 2018 04:36 PM|Muriachi|LINK

Hi Mark, we are facing the same problem after the same Windows Update, but we noticed that´s something related to SSL/TLS certificates because all services that stuck this way have certificates related to them.

for IIS for example if we disable HTTPS bindings IISRESET works fine.

• Re: IISReset Issues after July 2018 Patches

Jul 13, 2018 08:02 PM|dlanders1|LINK

I just wanted to follow up here with some findings from today...

In some cases we found that uninstalling KB4338815 & KB4338824 resolved the issues and IIS was responsive to restarts again. However, in some cases we found that this was only resolved after uninstalling all of the July patches.

One of the vendors we work with identified a possible cause being related to anon auth set to a specific user (service account, IUSR, etc.) instead of ApplicationPoolIdentity via the radio buttons. They suggested a workaround of ensuring the specific identity is set at the AppPool level and setting the anon auth to ApplicationPoolIdentity. So far in testing this has worked with that app but we've found that this is not an option in all cases.

We've reached out to Premier for some assistance with this. It seems like others are starting to come out of the woodwork with these issues as well. I will post anything useful as we get it.

• Rovastar Rovastar

5457 Posts

MVP

Re: IISRESET results in W3SVC stuck in stopping status after July 2018 patches

Jul 13, 2018 08:33 PM|Rovastar|LINK

merged to keep in one place
    Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/
  • bariscaglar bariscaglar

14 Posts

Microsoft

Jul 13, 2018 09:46 PM|bariscaglar|LINK

Hello, IIS Team here. We are trying to identify what part of the KB is causing this. So far we have a call stack (more would be good if anyone running into this issue and can get it to us) and we are engaged with the team that owns the part of the stack where the call is hanging, which appears to be the http layer. Another part of the problem we are trying to solve is identifying the prerequisite for the bug to repro as we don't yet have an in-house repro. I have tried the two suggestions in this thread, https and specific identity for the anonymous authentication but failed to repro (ie services restart just fine).

For now, our recommendation is to hold off on the updates until we identify exactly what is wrong and how we can fix the problem. Your patience as well as any new findings you might have on the issue are much appreciated.

14 Posts

Microsoft

Jul 13, 2018 11:00 PM|bariscaglar|LINK

Mark_9_1_1974

Have seen other services also get into this stuck status, but predominantly W3SVC.  Cannot kill the process; have to reboot to correct until next IISRESET occurs.  :-(

While we are still working on the issue, I have a few questions perhaps that someone on the thread can answer.

1. Are there any other OS that is affected other than 2012R2 and 2008R2, which I see being reported in this thread?
    2. For the other services that get into this stuck status, it would help to know which ones.
    3. This is a bit far-fetched, but has anyone been able to collect a Kernel dump while the hang is happening? We are still working on getting an in-house repro of this. So far we only have a user-mode dump from an external source, and it is not possible to root cause it with just that.

Thanks,

Baris.

• Re: IISRESET results in W3SVC stuck in stopping status after July 2018 patches

Jul 13, 2018 11:09 PM|Mark_9_1_1974|LINK

I am not 100%, but about 90+% sure that I saw the NetTcpPortSharing (Net.Tcp Port Sharing Service) also stuck in the "stopping" status.  Other than that, I don't recall any other services being reported by my teammates when they were also investigating.  We haven't collected any dumps of the process as they have just been bouncing the boxes as they are just our test boxes.  I will confer with my team come Monday and update the post with any additional information, and if haven't gotten a process dump by then I will see if someone can reproduce and get one.

Jul 14, 2018 10:44 AM|NiclasL|LINK

We are seeing the same issue across all our servers after the July patch. It is very obvious it was caused by it, because server show the behavior 24h after the patch reboot happened. As we restart some IIS app every 24h, and the first restart after the patch update has issues.

The problem is you can reboot the machine, and run as many net start stop w3svc or iisreset as you'd like and it works. It only happens after a certain amount of runtime, so something is triggering something that causes an issue at shudown.

We have another, probably related issue, we have a java process that won't release its HTTP WS port (jetty). The process will be stuck and cannot be killed, just like svchost and just like svchost the port is not bindable even if it isn't shown in netstat -an. And just like svchost it needs some runtime before this happens. After a clean reboot you can restart he java process as much as you'd like, after about 1h runtime it hits the issue.

We are still trying to get a reliable repro so we can experiment.

Point being, I don't think this is an IIS issue, I think it is a windows TCP networking stack issue, or possible a HTTP sys issue.

I can grab any kind of dump if given some instructions exactly how and what.

Jul 14, 2018 07:56 PM|Commerco|LINK

@NiclasL - The behavior you describe can also occur in other network services.  In the case here, a third party .Net email service hangs as it is trying to shutdown port 25, happening just as you described when the IIS service hangs.  The email service can be started and stopped for a while, but then exhibits the hang behavior.  Likewise, seeing exactly what you and others are seeing for the IIS service.

Jul 14, 2018 08:57 PM|NiclasL|LINK

@Commerco: Yes it seems to be very network TCP stack related. If you uninstall these KBs it will work again (same KB but different OS version, so you only have one of them on the machine)

<div>KB4338815,KB4338818,KB4338824,KB4338830</div> <div>Possibly (not verified) KB4338814 (2016)</div>

Jul 15, 2018 03:10 AM|WomanOfManyHats|LINK

Same here.   I had put my Win Update patch details here:   social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums   

I have not tried uninstalling the patches yet.

My application pools usually run as LocalSystem not App Pool Identity but changing that is not a workable option for me.  Typical AppPool settings: No Managed Code, Integrated Pipeline, LocalSystem identity, 2+ Applications using the poo.

I have LetsEncrypt https certs installed, and have reviewed and rebound-them, that has not helped.  SSL Labs does not see any https certificate problems.  

Awaiting someone @Microsoft who can confirm this problem and provide a fix...

Jul 15, 2018 09:04 AM|tomermiz|LINK

Hi All,

I acn also confirm the IISRESET caused World Wide WEB service to hand on stopping status.

server 2012 as well.

uninstalling KB4338815  resolved the issue.

Jul 15, 2018 12:56 PM|bmekler|LINK

I have encountered this issue on three Windows Server 2008 R2 servers so far - on one of them, it's IIS, but on the two others, it's Exchange 2010 transport service.

14 Posts

Microsoft

Re: IISReset Issues after July 2018 Patches

Jul 15, 2018 07:59 PM|bariscaglar|LINK

Folks a quick update here: There is a known TCP issue in July update that apparently manifests itself in different ways and as the IIS team we are closely engaged in a multi-team effort for a fix. I will update this thread once we have actually published this one patch to fix all of the issues. Once again, thank you for all the information provided here and your continued patience.

Jul 15, 2018 09:31 PM|mb300sd|LINK

Also experiencing this. Discovered while chasing down an Exchange issue where the transport service stops responding, which also may be related since it seems to have appeared at the same time. I am unable to update my Exchange service pack because it fails running iisreset. Task Manager is unable to kill the svchost.exe for the W3SVC service.

Jul 15, 2018 11:03 PM|NiclasL|LINK

@bariscaglarI hope you don't mean that the way it sounds, because if you had a known issue of this magnitude and still published the KBs... I hope you mean it is now know. This will likely get worse come Monday, especially since it is a security update people will try to update as soon as they can and come Monday find their services are stuck randomly.

Either way glad you are on it, you are likely on the clock with this one..

Jul 16, 2018 12:26 AM|deaDzera|LINK

I lost 2 days installing 3 servers (2012 r2 with exchange 2016 - with all updates) because this bug.

All problems reported by other users happen here. :(

Jul 16, 2018 06:28 AM|WomanOfManyHats|LINK

@bariscaglar    Thank you for the reassuring update.  It has been more than 10 hours since your message; Monday is just about over in Sydney Australia.  

Should we expect a patch within 24 hours or more than that?  I do not really want to risk rolling back the KB but if this is going to drag on for days due to complexity, I would take steps in that direction.

Jul 16, 2018 01:16 PM|Martin Costello|LINK

I've just come across this as well after patching an Amazon Machine Image for ASP.NET Core 2.1.2 updates, which happened to also pick up the July updates as part of re-baking the AMI on 11th July.

From my experiences, the W3SVC stall issue appears to happen at random. Unfortunately the first manifestation of it occurred during a production deployment after 6 rounds of QA, and initial theories and investigation all centering around the ASP.NET Core release until that was ruled out through testing over the last few days.

Unfortunately this thread only came up in Google results after I'd left work for the weekend on Friday, so unfortunately couldn't save me the time sunk in to troubleshooting.

Jul 16, 2018 01:42 PM|dandead2002|LINK

Hi,

Just wanted to add a +1 to this error in that we have had the same issue this morning but thankfully I only spent 3-4 hours trying to work out a fix before finding this thread.

As befor all working OK before updates and now IISRESET won't work... Got the issue down to the same problems with WWW Publishing Service to the extent any attempt to stop or restart this results in a hang at the stopping phase where only a full reboot will clear the issue.

This is a production server to have to be very careful of it but can try to carry out any debugging required providing any impact on our server will be low.

Jul 16, 2018 02:57 PM|DolfyCzech|LINK

Hi,

I have same issue with W3SVC stuck in stopping state during post install task while deploying WSUS service. W3SVC is now in Stopping state and ISS manager stop responding when I try to expand Webs list.

Difference from some posts is that this happens even when I try to run post install tasks right after reboot of (virtual) machine.

There is tail of post install tasks log (Czech version of Windows Server 2012R2):

2018-07-16 13:37:12  Stopping service W3SVC
    2018-07-16 13:42:12  System.ServiceProcess.TimeoutException: Časový limit vypršel a operace nebyla dokončena.
       v System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController.WaitForStatus(ServiceControllerStatus desiredStatus, TimeSpan timeout)
       v Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Run()
       v Microsoft.UpdateServices.Administration.PostInstall.Execute(String[] arguments)

PS: Please sorry my english. It is not my native language.

Jul 16, 2018 03:34 PM|Brenn.johnson|LINK

I am having the exact same issue. my problems occurred when installing the latest CU21 update to exchange 2013. 

w3wvc is stuck in a stopping state and IIS GUI freezes when I try to use it. 

One other thing I noticed is that the RPC service shows "running" but all options to start, restart, or stop are greyed out. 

Jul 16, 2018 03:46 PM|MichaelLittle|LINK

Oh joy. I was working this all this weekend. Luckily we only rolled it out to our development systems. Behavior is as people noticed. The W3SVC service (svchost.exe -k iissvcs) locks up and is completely unresponsive and it takes a server reboot to restart the service. Process explorer show no activity with the process and just one thread related to the Windows Activation Service. The tricky thing is that issue can take several hours to appear. So, you can remove a patch and think you have fixed it to only have the web server go down again hours later. Testing this weekend, pointed to patches for KB4338823 and KB4338818 causing the issue with Windows 2008 Server Server R2 and probably KB4338820 and KB4338830 causing it for Windows 2012 Server. We are still doing testing with our Windows 2012 Server. 

Jul 16, 2018 04:18 PM|Sean92107|LINK

We're also seeing this issue with IIS on Server 2012 R2.

Does anyone know if setting the Recovery setting in Services to 'Restart the Computer' will be a workaround until this is fixed?  Not the best option, but our client using this server is more concerned w/ their internal site being up than possibly losing work due to a restart.  

Thanks.

Jul 16, 2018 05:26 PM|NiclasL|LINK

Sean92107

We're also seeing this issue with IIS on Server 2012 R2.

Does anyone know if setting the Recovery setting in Services to 'Restart the Computer' will be a workaround until this is fixed?  Not the best option, but our client using this server is more concerned w/ their internal site being up than possibly losing work due to a restart.  

Thanks.

No that won't work, the problem is in the windows kernel, the process is stuck and cannot die. It effects all kinds of TCP Networking processes. I would guess it relates to TCP port sharing in some sense, but who knows.

The only solution is to roll back the KB43388XX where XX is for the OS version you have 15,18,24,30 and possibly 14 (I have not verified, nor seen anyone verify that this is an issue on 2016+)

Jul 16, 2018 08:33 PM|dandead2002|LINK

This is a little off topic (we are still experiencing the original problem and please moderate away if this isn't appropriate) but in case Microsoft technicians are monitoring this we also have a very similar problem if we restart the Mailenable IMAP service running on the same machine (yes this is set to accept normal and secure traffic).

In this case it takes a long time to stop (but does eventually) and when started despite reporting as being all ok and running to won't accept any connections on the open ports. Even though they are reported as listening.

Again the only solution is a full reboot as when loading from scratch all seems OK (until you try to restart the services!)

Fingers crossed for a fix very soon!

Jul 16, 2018 08:39 PM|mb300sd|LINK

This update was definitely also causing the Exchange issue, which to me seems like a bigger problem than not being able to restart IIS. The transport service would randomly stop accepting connections and required a reboot of the server before it started working again. All fixed after uninstalling KB4338818. Perhaps also get in contact with that team.

14 Posts

Microsoft

Jul 17, 2018 12:04 AM|bariscaglar|LINK

The mitigation packages are being released so please check for updates and once you have the new packages, let us know if the package fixes your particular issue.

Jul 17, 2018 12:26 AM|NiclasL|LINK

bariscaglar

The mitigation packages are being released so please check for updates and once you have the new packages, let us know if the package fixes your particular issue.

Sounds great! Mind linking/listing the KBs we should be looking for?

Jul 17, 2018 04:51 AM|Teun|LINK

We have the same issues on SBS2008.

Also we have the strange issue of Exchange 2007 OWA not working anymore, during troubleshooting W3SVC keeps hanging and requires a server reboot to get it fixed everytime we issue IISRESET command.

I will check for updates can you also please post links to the KB fixes?

Jul 17, 2018 05:21 AM|runesoerensen|LINK

NiclasL

Sounds great! Mind linking/listing the KBs we should be looking for?

Probably KB4345459 (WS2008R2)KB4345424 (WS2012R2) and KB4345418 (WS2016).

14 Posts

Microsoft

Jul 17, 2018 05:53 AM|bariscaglar|LINK

runesoerensen

Probably KB4345459 (WS2008R2)KB4345424 (WS2012R2) and KB4345418 (WS2016).

These seem to be correct. You can also get to the same information through the official update documentation:

Win 10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4099479

2012R2: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009470/windows-8-1-windows-server-2012-r2-update-history

Jul 17, 2018 05:58 AM|Teun|LINK

For SBS2008 I do not see the update?

This is based on Server 2008, not 2008R2...

Windows update does not detect the new update/fix either.

Jul 17, 2018 06:21 AM|runesoerensen|LINK

Teun

For SBS2008 I do not see the update?

This is based on Server 2008, not 2008R2...

To expand a bit on bariscaglar's suggestion I can recommend subscribing to an Atom/RSS feed for your product - it's pretty straightforward using the link generator, and the Windows Server 2008 package is the first one listed if you do that :)

Jul 17, 2018 06:44 AM|TimDavis2001|LINK

Hi,

I applied these updates to two 2012 Essentials (non R2) servers on Friday evening.  Bother exhibited the hung W3SVC problem about 3 hours later immediately after attempting an IISRESET.

The patches applied were KB40544542, KB4338830, KB4338421 and KB438418

I have removed KB40544542 and KB438418 so far but the problem still occurs.

Unable to stop/fix the W3SVC hang, which impacts the Essentials dashboard and knock out the Remote Access Gateway too.  The only fix has been to reboot.

In my case, both of these servers have IIS pages that connect to an access database so I do have 32 bit mode enabled, but I don't think that is relevent in this case.

Last night I tried to shutdown W3SVN using NET STOP WAS .. but it hung on W3SVC reporting a 1051 error

Jul 17, 2018 06:47 AM|NiclasL|LINK

TimDavis2001

Hi,

I applied these updates to two 2012 Essentials (non R2) servers on Friday evening.  Bother exhibited the hung W3SVC problem about 3 hours later immediately after attempting an IISRESET.

The patches applied were KB40544542, KB4338830, KB4338421 and KB438418

I have removed KB40544542 and KB438418 so far but the problem still occurs.

Unable to stop/fix the W3SVC hang, which impacts the Essentials dashboard and knock out the Remote Access Gateway too.  The only fix has been to reboot.

In my case, both of these servers have IIS pages that connect to an access database so I do have 32 bit mode enabled, but I don't think that is relevent in this case.

Last night I tried to shutdown W3SVN using NET STOP WAS .. but it hung on W3SVC reporting a 1051 error

I wonder did you read the entire post or just skip to the bottom? The answers you seek are in this thread.

The KB that causes the issue is 4338830, none which you have removed. And MS also released an update, see above, that may resolve the issue with 4338830, but so far I have seen no verification.

Jul 17, 2018 06:50 AM|TimDavis2001|LINK

Hi bariscaglar,

Is there a mitigation package release for Server Essentials 2012 non-R2?   I just looked and can see nothing.  Can you supply the KB numbers please?

Thanks

Jul 17, 2018 07:17 AM|TimDavis2001|LINK

Sorry, I'm new here.  Yes I did read the full article but I was trying to be helpful and to provide more detail in my case.  I did see apost that indicated it might be 4338830 but testing still ongoing.  In my situation I'd rather try and fight forwards, if there is a fix, than to rollback.

Jul 17, 2018 07:40 AM|NiclasL|LINK

TimDavis2001

Sorry, I'm new here.  Yes I did read the full article but I was trying to be helpful and to provide more detail in my case.  I did see apost that indicated it might be 4338830 but testing still ongoing.  In my situation I'd rather try and fight forwards, if there is a fix, than to rollback.

Then try the fix update released, mentioned above by MS rep, there is one that corresponds to your OS.

So far the information about the patch is sparse, I would have liked to see a file listning.

Jul 17, 2018 08:00 AM|Mike YMP|LINK

Hi,

after uninstalling the updates KB4338815 and KB4338830 for the different Windows Versions, the 80% of the servers, the iisreset start working as it should, but still a large pool of servers are affected even uninstalling/rollback the update.

We have already opened a case with Microsoft so we can find a solution, i'll keep you posted.

Lucky that this was installed/detected on the test environment and not productive :)

Microsoft has already updated the update page with the known error:

When an administrator tries to stop the World Wide Web Publishing Service (W3SVC), the W3SVC remains in a "stopping" state, but cannot fully stop or be restarted.

Currently, there is no workaround for this issue.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and estimates a solution will be available mid-July.

Jul 17, 2018 08:05 AM|Martin Costello|LINK

Has the patch for Windows Server 2012 actually been released, or are the release notes just lagging?

The KB article still lists the W3SVC hang as a known issue that is not yet resolved: https://forums.iis.net/t/1239061.aspx

Jul 17, 2018 09:23 AM|Teun|LINK

Runsoerensen

In the RSS feed the 2008 package that caused the issues is listed but not the fix...as far as I can see.

Jul 17, 2018 10:10 AM|runesoerensen|LINK

Teun

In the RSS feed the 2008 package that caused the issues is listed but not the fix...as far as I can see.

Looks like this is the one: https://support.microsoft.com/help/4345397

Jul 17, 2018 12:11 PM|jparra|LINK

Hi bariscaglar,

At the moment KB4345424 is available in Microsoft Catalog, but ... Is expected to be included in Windows Update? Or a major KB will be released soon. The more logical is that Microsoft publish a solution we can install using Windows Update in our machines.

Thanks

Jul 17, 2018 12:21 PM|Martin Costello|LINK

With an AMI re-built at 10:33 BST which I've just retested with my application, the issue does not appear to be resolved on Windows Server 2012 R2.

C:\Users\Administrator>systeminfo | findstr OS
    OS Name: Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
    OS Version: 6.3.9600 N/A Build 9600
    OS Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation
    OS Configuration: Standalone Server
    OS Build Type: Multiprocessor Free
    BIOS Version: Xen 4.2.amazon, 8/24/2006

Running wmic qfe list shows that KB1338815 is installed.

Name :
    Description : Security-Update
    Computername : WIN-NAME
    HotFixID : KB4338815
    ServicePackInEffect :
    InstalledBy : NT-AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
    FixComments :
    InstallDate :
    InstalledOn : Tuesday 17 July 2018
    KBArticle : http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=4338815

Jul 17, 2018 12:34 PM|Teun|LINK

runesoerensen

Teun

Thank you I have installed it fingers crossed that it fixes it after reboot...

Jul 17, 2018 01:03 PM|Martin Costello|LINK

If I'm understanding the docs correctly, the fix for Windows Server 2012 R2 (KB4345424) is available for the Security-only July update (KB4338824), but not yet for the July Monthly Rollup (KB4338815).

Jul 17, 2018 03:14 PM|ambrosm|LINK

Hi, maybe it's late for you but I got following information for my svchost.exe in STOP_PENDING state.

Following information relates to Windows 2008 Server R2 after applying July 2018 patches (no patch was uninstalled yet or no newly prepared fix was installed yet).

Running "sc" with "queryex":

SERVICE_NAME: w3svc
    TYPE : 20 WIN32_SHARE_PROCESS
    STATE : 3 STOP_PENDING
    (NOT_STOPPABLE, NOT_PAUSABLE, IGNORES_SHUTDOWN)
    WIN32_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
    SERVICE_EXIT_CODE : 0 (0x0)
    CHECKPOINT : 0x3d
    WAIT_HINT : 0x4e20
    PID : 1784
    FLAGS :

Threads in svchost.exe:

Threads in a svchost.exe process in STOP_PENDING state..

The call stacks of those threads in svchost.exe: call stacks report

Jul 17, 2018 03:16 PM|Teun|LINK

Teun

runesoerensen

Thank you I have installed it fingers crossed that it fixes it after reboot...

It appears to have worked, iisreset command is now functional again. Thanks!

Jul 17, 2018 05:24 PM|dandead2002|LINK

Hi,

I just wanted to let people know we've had to manually update the patch as listed as above and our 2012 R2 server (after initial testing) seems to be functioning as expected... We can now run IISRESET without issue and we can even restart the Mail Enable IMAP service and this conitinues to function as it should (after not fully restarting before the fix).

I will allow 12 hours and re-test and re-update everything but so far so good!

If this is good it needs to be pushed out as an automatic update asap to stop people who haven't yet found this thread a lot of headaches and time! :)

Thanks,

Daniel

14 Posts

Microsoft

Jul 17, 2018 10:19 PM|bariscaglar|LINK

Windows update should follow the catalog update shortly if not already. Unfortunately I do not have the exact date/time associated with each update.

For 2012, I believe the correct KB is KB4345425. 

Jul 17, 2018 11:17 PM|greatquux|LINK

Jul 18, 2018 04:11 AM|mflynn22|LINK

Is the Server 2012 update also working for 2012 R2?

Jul 18, 2018 06:40 AM|Mike YMP|LINK

Hi,

after dealing with Microsoft Support, they have shared some fixes released yesterday, if you are still experiencing issues with the iis after uninstallation.

2008 SP2: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4345397/improvements-and-fixes-for-windows-server-2008-service-pack-2

2008R2: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4345459/stop-error-0xd1-after-a-race-condition-occurs-in-windows-7-service-pac

2012R2: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4345424/improvements-and-fixes-windows-8-1-and-server-2012-r2

2012 Non-R2 is here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4345425/improvements-and-fixes-windows-server-2012 

2016: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4345418/july162018kb4345418osbuild143932368

as always "try first on a test environment and then prod" ;), one of the 8 rules of the IT Club.

Jul 18, 2018 09:03 AM|J Morales|LINK

Thank you so much! The 2012 R2 link fixed this issue in my case.

Jul 18, 2018 09:54 AM|Commerco|LINK

Glad to report around here that the 2008 R2 and 2016 Server updates seem to all be working as expected, all updated within a local WSUS environment.  One 2008 R2 server housed in a remote data center never was offered the KB4345459 update via Windows Update, however when provided the windows6.1-kb4345459-x64 msu file manually, updated just fine.  Now, in all cases, these servers can start/stop/restart IIS and other network services without the service hang.

The past week has been a bit tough, but thanks to Microsoft teams working on this for getting the revisions that corrected the matter out so quickly.  Here's to hoping August 14th 2018 will be a better day for us all.

Jul 18, 2018 11:22 AM|nellefsen|LINK

After days of researching was so happy to stumble across this thread.  I figured it had to do with the July patches, but was great to get some confirmation.  I manually downloaded/installed the Server 2012R2 fix, and that has solved our IISRESET issue as well.  Thanks to everyone that contributed to get this fix rolled out fairly quickly.

Jul 18, 2018 12:34 PM|Martin Costello|LINK

Can someone confirm whether or not KB4345424 resolves the known issues if KB4338815 is installed? The KB article states that there is no workaround available, which implies that a different fix patch, which is not yet available, is required.

Jul 18, 2018 01:16 PM|dandead2002|LINK

Martin Costello

Can someone confirm whether or not KB4345424 resolves the known issues if KB4338815 is installed? The KB article states that there is no workaround available, which implies that a different fix patch, which is not yet available, is required.

Martin,

We didn't uninstall any updates before applying the patch fix and all works fine now without incident so yes, it appears the patch does work with the old updates in place.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,

Daniel

Jul 18, 2018 01:49 PM|NiclasL|LINK

The problem is caused by KB4338815, so it would make no sense if the patch didn't address that. But I do agree that the information both in the patch and in the orignial update should be updated.

Preferably they should revoke KB4338815 and reissue a complete update...

Jul 18, 2018 03:56 PM|runesoerensen|LINK

NiclasL

The problem is caused by KB4338815, so it would make no sense if the patch didn't address that. But I do agree that the information both in the patch and in the orignial update should be updated.

So KB4338815 is actually a "monthly rollup" update that includes both security fixes and other non-security improvements and fixes. This includes the security-only updates in KB4338824, which currently lists the same known issues as KB4338815, but only the KB4338824 article has been updated to reference KB4345424 as a workaround for those.

I think that's what Martin Costello was asking about seeing as he pointed out the same discrepancy earlier in this thread.

It seems pretty likely that KB4345424 fixes issues caused by the security patches (i.e. those contained in both the rollup update and the security-only update (as dandead2002's comment would also suggest)), but in that case MSFT should update KB4338815 to reflect that to avoid confusion.

Jul 18, 2018 04:18 PM|Martin Costello|LINK

Yes, that's exactly it - is it that there's a patch yet to be delivered for the roll-up, or is it that the docs are out-of-date?

Jul 18, 2018 05:26 PM|NiclasL|LINK

Martin Costello

Yes, that's exactly it - is it that there's a patch yet to be delivered for the roll-up, or is it that the docs are out-of-date?

Ahh, ok, my bad then. I have been wondering the same thing, as the documentation is very lacking, even on the fix KB. I just took it for granted. I have seen reports that it does fixes both, but we have yet to try ourselves. We had enough work to roll things back, so we are a bit backlogged, we will do it tomorrow though, if no one else has reported back by then we will.

Jul 19, 2018 02:17 AM|runesoerensen|LINK

Interestingly the KB4338815 docs have been updated now, suggesting the preview of next month's rollup workaround for the same issues.

Not sure what to make of that seeing as the known issues haven't changed. Would probably err on the conservative side and stick to the security-only patches (or perhaps the July roll-up + security fixes).

Installing previews of non-critical/security improvements seems like inviting a lot of potential fun that I don't really need more of this month ;)

Jul 19, 2018 02:23 PM|mflynn22|LINK

Is anyone having issues with SQL Server getting backed up and not finishing queries.  This just started happening during this same time where IIS was getting stuck and queued up.  Is this related, and if so does Microsoft know about it also?

The IIS reset issue seems to be fixed, but IIS was getting backed up with requests like it was doing before so that is not fixed.

Jul 19, 2018 03:58 PM|greylady|LINK

We are seeing this same behavior on Windows 7 Enterprise edition after the July 11th updates and on some Window 10 systems which are being used to host IIS. 

Is the update going to be ported to non-server OSes as well?

Jul 19, 2018 04:03 PM|Martin Costello|LINK

I can confirm that KB4338831 fixes the issue with KB4338815 for W3SVC on Windows Server 2012 R2.

Jul 20, 2018 01:22 AM|WomanOfManyHats|LINK

Regarding this system,

OS Name Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Standard
    Version 6.2.9200 Build 9200

I went to the microsoft.com page for July 18, 2018—KB4338831 and then went to the Microsoft Update Catalog. and used the standalone installer file for Windows Server 2012 R2, which was named windows8.1-kb4338831-x64_c5f105fa1349fa534f19035aa8a0796985c6be58.msu

Not too surprisingly, it refused to install.

Will there be a patch for Windows Server 2012 Standard or is this a complete dead end ? 

Jul 20, 2018 05:49 AM|Martin Costello|LINK

I think you want this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4345425/improvements-and-fixes-windows-server-2012

Jul 20, 2018 11:44 AM|WomanOfManyHats|LINK

THANK YOU !  Yes that one works on Win 2012 Standard.  Installed, rebooted, iisreset works again.

Jul 27, 2018 05:12 AM|zb197a|LINK

I have the same problem on BOTH my servers. After the July update, I need to reboot my servers to do anything.

When I click on App Pools, it just hangs forever. I am unable to cycle servers or deploy without a full reboot.

it is a real problem. I can reproduce it 100% of time so IIS Team is welcome to reach out for debug data.

thanks,

/Z

Jul 30, 2018 05:15 PM|dei.navickaite|LINK

Hello,

we have this problem wit Oracle 11.2 listeners on 2012R2. Another issue is that calls from a database to ftp sites fail randomly with TNS address is already in use errors. Also we have issues with Oracle Agent, OHS, Admin Server not starting because of "port is in use". Rebooting the server helps.  And of course IIS.

Jul 31, 2018 09:47 AM|G3Creative|LINK

Hi Mark - thank you so much for your help on this problem which we have now resolved.

http://www.g3creative.co.uk/

Aug 03, 2018 03:06 PM|juniorlaluna|LINK

This fix has on Windows Update to Server 2008 R2 x64?

I have Windows Server 2008 R2 x64, Windows Update does not detect the new update yet.

I temporary fixed uninstalling the update KB4338818 until this fix is avaiable on Windows Update.

Aug 03, 2018 03:31 PM|greatquux|LINK

Yeah I'm sure hoping Microsoft includes this in the August patches (although I don't see why they wouldn't).

Aug 03, 2018 09:39 PM|NiclasL|LINK

Once the KB4338818 is installed you find the "preview month update" under optionals

Aug 08, 2018 05:55 AM|B4Art|LINK

We have seen NSClient++ (x64) 0.4.4.23 stuck in stopping state, on more then one server (2008 R2 with IIS). We did not make a memory dump. Reboot has been the only option, so far.
    We were not able to install an update of this service 0.5.2.35. But we do not know if that has anything to do with this issue,

Aug 14, 2018 05:01 PM|Mordock|LINK

We have seen the following services hanging on stopping: McAfee Agent Common Service and much more wide spread the Remote Registry service. In addition we have seen a runaway condition on both the Remote Registry service and the Splunk Forwarder services where they are each using a full single proc. Needless to say, on 2 proc VMs this is locking them up. We have installed the fix on a number of machines and are monitoring the situation, but we have disabled so many Remote Registry and Splunk services to keep things running that the results are not yet conclusive. While we have seen these conditions on the majority of our Citrix servers, it has also appeared on other servers. We have not been able to identify any common denominator as to what systems it affects.

Aug 15, 2018 10:16 AM|imtiaza|LINK

Dear All,

Same thing happens to me. After installing following KB my windows 2012 Task Schedule stop responding IIS restart service.

I have to manually restart the IIS and even then i am unable to restart. 

SO I RESTART THE WHOLE SERVER and THEN IT WORKS. BUT PROBLEM IS STILL THERE. 

YOU RESTART SERVER IT WORKS.

YOU TRY TO RESTART IIS IT GET STUCK.

KB3042058                   5/17/2018 
    KB3074228                   5/17/2018
    KB3172729                   5/17/2018
    KB3185319                   8/14/2018
    KB4040981                   8/14/2018
    KB4095515                   5/17/2018
    KB4095875                   5/17/2018
    KB4103715                   5/17/2018
    KB4103768                   5/17/2018
    KB4338424                   8/13/2018

KB4339093                   8/13/2018

Thanks

Malik Adeel Imtiaz

Aug 15, 2018 10:33 AM|NiclasL|LINK

If you read the whole thread you will see how to avoid it. There are patches out there to fix it, were released a few weeks ago and are confirmed to work.

Aug 20, 2018 02:17 PM|ArcaneGlyph|LINK

I have Server 2008 with SP2 and I am also seeing issues getting my WWW service to stop. 

Here is what I have installed:

JULY

AUGUST

Anyone know where I can get a patch to resolve this issue, or what to uninstall to fix it?

Aug 20, 2018 06:34 PM|shanebarber|LINK

Hello! I was going to install the fix (KB4345459) on my 2008 R2 server but that patch is superseded by 2018-08 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows Server 2008 R2 (KB4343900)

My question is, since the August quality rollup is superseding the old one, will the rollup contain whatever is necessary to fix the issue? Or am I better off installing KB4345459 before I install the August rollup? I ask because earlier in this thread, someone indicated that this fix was a "standalone" patch.

I am not on the patching team but I was pulled into this due to the IIS locking up and requiring reboots so I want to let them know if there is any reason they should run the standalone KB4345459 before they install the rollup patches.