We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Getting thousands of Error 404. The requested page (/computers) was not foundRSS

1 reply

Last post Jun 25, 2018 06:49 AM by deepakpanchal10

• Getting thousands of Error 404. The requested page (/computers) was not found

Jun 23, 2018 04:20 PM|TGirgenti|LINK

Hello,

I have a website hosted on a Windows 2012, IIS 8.0 server.  My website has a log file that logs activities of the website.

It has one annoying entry every 30 seconds from various IP addresses.  Here are some of the entries:

Error 404. The requested page (/jewelry) was not found

Error 404. The requested page (/accessories) was not found

Error 404. The requested page (/computers) was not found

Does anyone have any idea of how I can stop this annoying activity?

I tried putting in Deny Restriction Rules, but the IP address of the entry keeps changing.  I have put in almost 200 Deny Restriction Rules and it is still happening.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

Stop The World, I Want To Get Off
  • Re: Getting thousands of Error 404. The requested page (/computers) was not found

Jun 25, 2018 06:49 AM|deepakpanchal10|LINK

Hi TGirgenti,

You can try to create Request Blocking Rule for the requests which do not contains your domain name.

You can also try to block the requests that directly try to access using IP address.

Further, you can try to use Dynamic IP address Restrictions.

• Dynamic IP address filtering, which allows administrators to configure their server to block access for IP addresses that exceed the specified number of requests.
    • The IP address filtering features now allow administrators to specify the behavior when IIS blocks an IP address, so requests from malicious clients can be aborted by the server instead of returning HTTP 403.6 responses to the client.
    • IP filtering now feature a proxy mode, which allows IP addresses to be blocked not only by the client IP that is seen by IIS but also by the values that are received in the x-forwarded-for HTTP header

IIS 8.0 Dynamic IP Address Restrictions

Regards

Deepak

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.