Why Do I See My Router?RSS

3 replies

Last post Apr 05, 2018 05:38 AM by Yuk Ding

• Why Do I See My Router?

Apr 04, 2018 08:57 PM|abrogard|LINK

Win10

I have a fixed IP address.

IIS is supposedly running.

There's an index page in wwwroot that shows on 'localhost' alright.

But when I input the IP address I get my router instead of the index page.

Why is this?

• Re: Why Do I See My Router?

Apr 05, 2018 04:10 AM|lextm|LINK

abrogard

I have a fixed IP address.

Please study some computer networking and common tools (such as Wireshark) before moving on, as that should make it easier to understand the concepts.

Back to your case, the fixed IP address if assigned to your router, then of course you get your router (login page in typical cases). You will have to configure your router to route such HTTP requests to your IIS machine. About how to do that, check the router user manual, or contact the vendor, or ask Google if someone uses the same model to do the same. Again, general computer networking knowledge would apply, and few of the steps need IIS knowledge, as you just route the requests.

Lex Li
    IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Apr 05, 2018 05:04 AM|abrogard|LINK

Yep, sure, thank you.

It was a silly question.  I know better than that if I'd only stopped to think.  I didn't.  Sorry.

sealed

Apr 05, 2018 05:38 AM|Yuk Ding|LINK

Hi abrogard,

Your fixed IP should be used to your router. In your IIS server ipconfig command, you should only see the internal ip address and internal gateway ip address. So if you need to expose the website to your IIS server. Please input the gateway's ipaddress and set your IIS server to the DMZ zone. Then you need to set the IIS binding. Once you configured them, you should be able to access the website via your fixed IP address.

Sometimes, the easiest way to achieve this is direct connect your IIS server to the ISP's gateway without router.

Best Regards,

Yuk Ding

Yuk Ding

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.