WebDeploy: Files not updating on certain IIS serversRSS

2 replies

Last post Mar 22, 2017 05:16 AM by billgeek

• WebDeploy: Files not updating on certain IIS servers

Mar 20, 2017 09:55 AM|billgeek|LINK

Hi All, hoping someone has some input to my issue...

We have Bamboo creating our deployment packages. One of these packages is for our UI project: a web app using gulp, etc...

Our package creation task looks as follows:

"C:\Program Files\IIS\Microsoft Web Deploy V3\msdeploy.exe" -verb:sync -source:contentPath="${bamboo.build.working.directory}\Web\dist" -dest:package="${bamboo.build.working.directory}\package.zip" -declareParam:name="IIS Web Application"

We now have a number of issues that we experience, all at random and there seems to be no pattern to any of it:

• Sometimes the package is "incomplete": We know that there are supposed to be four javascript files in the package, but sometimes the package just doesn't have one of the files. (It'll either have only two script files, sometimes three) The file exists in the path that is given to the msdeploy comment (web\dist) but it's just missing from the package and there are no errors in the Bamboo logs at all. This forces us to create three packages for Production deployments as we cannot be sure which package will be correct or not. This might be a Bamboo issue and I'll raise it in the relevant forums on the Atlassian site as well, but...
    • When we do find a package that was created properly, we then sometimes can't deploy it to certain servers. We have to manually unzip the package and copy the content files to the desired directory. Again, this does not happen all the time and there's no clear indication why this is happening. I can take a single ZIP package and successfully deploy it on our QA server running the same OS and IIS version, but in PROD, it either just shows "The package was installed successfully", in which case we know it failed, or it will actually show the number of changed files, but the last updated date of the files under inetpub\wwwroot are not updated and we have to manually unzip the file and copy the content.

We're running Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64) and IIS 8.5 on all environments and servers with Web Deploy V3. (9.0.1764.0 according to the registry) All servers are configured identically except the host names on the site bindings on IIS.

We follow the standard process of deploying: Right click on Site > Deploy > Import Application... > Select Package File > Specify IIS Application Name > Select to override and delete files > Done

If anyone has any ideas, the help would be greatly appreciated!

• Re: WebDeploy: Files not updating on certain IIS servers

Mar 21, 2017 08:25 AM|Yuk Ding|LINK

Hi billgeek,

Do you have the write permission to access the destination? You could also try to import the package following this link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/aspnet/web-forms/overview/deployment/web-deployment-in-the-enterprise/manually-installing-web-packages

Please check whether there is something wrong with your override exist file configuration in the wizard of importing package.

I'm not sure whether it is caused by bamboo while it is an third party software. When you meet the error with missing file, you could try to set build action in visual studio:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13340687/why-visual-studio-doesnt-move-some-files-in-publish.

Best Regards,

Yuk Ding

Yuk Ding

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
  • Re: WebDeploy: Files not updating on certain IIS servers

Mar 22, 2017 05:16 AM|billgeek|LINK

Thanks for the reply!

I had a look at the first link and we are installing the package to our live environment in exactly the same way as explained.

Bamboo automatically deploys to our DEV, Test and QA environments and they all work with every deployment, so I think for now I'll try to reinstall MSWebDeploy on the servers and see if that solves the problem with importing the packages.

My only remaining concerned is MSBuild sometimes not adding certain files. These files are generated via a gulp task to a "dist" folder which is what we pass to MSBuild as a content path.