IIS Admin Service Won't Start after ransomewareRSS

2 replies

Last post Mar 07, 2017 09:41 AM by Yuk Ding

• IIS Admin Service Won't Start after ransomeware

Mar 06, 2017 05:16 PM|OULIWEI|LINK

I was hit with a ransomware recently and after getting my system back my IIS Admin service will not start nor will my SMTP service.  The cause seems to be corrupt MachineKeys. Event Viewer gives:

The IIS Admin Service service terminated with service-specific error 2148073478 (0x80090006).

All searches point to corrupt c23... files.  I tried recovering these files from a backup with no luck.

Might anyone have information how to reconfigure the IIS 6 compatibility components on Server 2008 machine without a complete IIS 7 reinstall?  I currently have HTML/ASP/PHP sites, Wordpress with MySQL sites, and DNN with MS SQL sites on the box, which all are working as they should with the exception of any IIS 6 component reliant services such as SMTP.

Thank you in advance for any information or assistance

• Re: IIS Admin Service Won't Start after ransomeware

Mar 06, 2017 06:54 PM|lextm|LINK

The best practice is to build another machine to replace this one (from your healthy backup obviously). Don't attempt to restore a corrupt machine, as you won't be able to know which are the broken pieces.

Lex Li
    https://lextudio.com
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Re: IIS Admin Service Won't Start after ransomeware

Mar 07, 2017 09:41 AM|Yuk Ding|LINK

Hi OULIWEI,

It seems to be related to the machine key.

I think this link provide an effective solution to help you resolve the IIS admin service failed to start up error:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/saurabh_singh/2007/08/01/iis-admin-service-fail-to-start/

Best Regards,

Yuk Ding

Yuk Ding

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.