500 - Internal Server ErrorRSS

2 replies

Last post Feb 28, 2017 06:58 AM by Yuk Ding

• 500 - Internal Server Error

Feb 27, 2017 06:47 PM|christopher877|LINK

Recently, I installed frontpage server extensions on a Windows 2012 R2 server. I then used web deploy to package and migrate several web sites from an old 2003 server. When I tried viewing sites in a web browser, all of the sites that had the frontpage server extensions extended give me a "500 - Internal Server Error." This is not the case with sites that didn't have the extensions. They worked fine. I made sure all permissions were the same between working and non-working sites along with the authentication methods being identical. If I create a new "test" site, anyone is able to access it. No problem. it is only the frontpage sites. In the tests, I even extended the server extensions and they worked fine. How would I troubleshoot the 500 - Internal Server Error?

Before anyone says something, frontpage server extensions are supported by ready to run software (http://www.rtr.com/fpse/Win2008R2/index.htm) which is where we purchased the licenses from. 

• Re: 500 - Internal Server Error

Feb 27, 2017 10:02 PM|lextm|LINK

As you already know it is "supported" by ready to run, you should go to them.

To troubleshoot 500, read carefully the error page (reproduce such pages on the server itself), as it contains all the details.

Lex Li
    Affordable IIS Consulting Services at https://support.lextudio.com/services/consulting.html
    ---------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
  • Re: 500 - Internal Server Error

Feb 28, 2017 06:58 AM|Yuk Ding|LINK

Hi christopher877,

500 internal error also contain a configuration error when you migrate the website or install the FPSE.

First of all, you may need to check whether the necessary feature has been installed:

Web Server (IIS) Role Services

• Web Server 
      • Common HTTP Features 
        • Static Content
        • Default Document
        • Directory Browsing (See note 1)
        • HTTP Errors (See note 1)
      • Application Development 
        • ISAPI Extensions
        • ISAPI Filters
      • Health and Diagnostics 
        • HTTP Logging (See note 1)
        • Request Monitor (See note 1)
      • Security 
        • Windows Authentication or Basic Authentication (See note 2)
        • Request Filtering
      • Performance 
        • Static Content Compression (See note 1)
    • Management Tools 
      • IIS Management Console (See note 1)
      • IIS 6 Management Compatibility 
        • IIS 6 Metabase Compatibility
    • Features
      • Windows Process Activation Service 
        • Process Model

Secondly, you could follow this link to install FPSE:

https://www.iis.net/learn/publish/frontpage-server-extensions/installing-the-frontpage-server-extensions-on-iis

Considering, it is migrated from windows 2003, you could try to set application pool to classic mode and enable 32-bit applications in application pool advanced setting.

You could also check the IIS log and post sc-status sc-substatus sc-win32-status here.

Best Regards,

Yuk Ding

Yuk Ding

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.