We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Certain Classic ASP pages extremely slow on IIS 10 [Answered]RSS

3 replies

Last post Nov 03, 2016 06:02 PM by EvM2304

• Certain Classic ASP pages extremely slow on IIS 10

Oct 05, 2016 06:45 PM|EvM2304|LINK

Hi,

I'm preparing the migration of some classic ASP sites from IIS 8.5 (Windows 2012) to IIS 10.0. Currently I'm using Windows 10 as my "test" platform. The sites run fine and fast except for certain pages that take significantly more time to complete, like more than 10 seconds compared to less than 1 second when requested on IIS 8.5. The sites hit a SQL Server database and use a 32-bit COM object but neither seem to be causing the issue as many "fast" pages use both and when troubleshooting the "slow" pages the SQL queries run fast. I've installed failed-request tracing and nothing jumps out other than that some ASP statements seem to take a lot of time. One in particular jumps out, the Eval() function, but it works fine, just seems slow.

Does anyone else have these issues? Any ideas?

• Re: Certain Classic ASP pages extremely slow on IIS 10

Oct 06, 2016 07:37 AM|Yuk Ding|LINK

Hi EvM2304,

Failed request tracing log is an important part to troubleshooting the performance issue. The hardware, firewall, code conflict could all lead to the slow performance.

Could you post the tracing here?

It shows which module lead to the slow performance.

Besides, you could try the following command:

%windir%\system32\inetsrv\appcmd list requests /elapsed:<second>

which will filter the request over the elapsed time.

Besides, you could test your asp page in visual studio to figure out whether the problem is caused by IIS 10 or windows 10.

Best Regards,

Yuk Ding

Yuk Ding

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.

Nov 02, 2016 10:26 PM|EvM2304|LINK

Hey Yuk,

Thanks for your quick response and sorry for the delay. I've now installed my sites on Windows Server 2016 Standard and I'm experiencing the same slowness issues with some classic ASP pages. I'm going to follow your suggestion and install failed request tracing. Once I have results I will get back to you.

Thanks,

Erik

Nov 03, 2016 06:02 PM|EvM2304|LINK

Here's one for Microsoft to fix....

On a hunch I decided to disable the Real-Time protection of Windows Defender on my Windows Server 2016 and the pages that were previously loading slow (e.g. seconds) were now flying! I tried leaving Windows Defender on but adding exclusions but none that I could come up with would work.