Video Streaming IIS 8 - SharePoint 2013 [Answered]RSS

1 reply

Last post Oct 05, 2016 05:01 AM by Yuk Ding

• Video Streaming IIS 8 - SharePoint 2013

Oct 04, 2016 01:19 PM|amir.kalhori|LINK

Dear All,

My problem with SharePoint 2013 SP1 on Windows Server 2012 R2 with IIS 8.0 as a video streaming is when a client clicks on the video play button on the SharePoint in order to watch a video, his/her web browser ( IE / Chrome / Firefox ) starts to download the ( whole of the video file ) in the background and after that, the video plays automatically on the web browser.

Now imagine you want to watch the first 5 minutes of a video on SharePoint which is 500MB, 1h 27 min, so with the SharePoint video streaming structure when you click on the play button for watching, your web browser starts to download the whole of the video file ( 500MB, 1h 27 min ) in the background and after downloading you can watch the video. you wanted just watch the first 5 minutes of the video but your web browser download the whole of the video! this streaming structure consumes bandwidth a lot in the network.

But YouTube is totally different, when you click on the video play button on Youtube, the youtube immediately streams the video and you can move the video seek bar where would like to watch instead of downloading the whole of the video file to your computer.

So I do not know how to change SharePoint video streaming structure in order to client web browser does not download the whole of the video file for streaming.

Is it possible to use Bit Rate Throttling in my scenario to solve the problem ?

Best Regards,

Amir

• Re: Video Streaming IIS 8 - SharePoint 2013

Oct 05, 2016 05:01 AM|Yuk Ding|LINK

Hi amir,

Is it possible to use Bit Rate Throttling in my scenario to solve the problem ?

Bit Rate Throttling could completely acieve this. The extension could allow the media startup with 20 second buffer time.

However, Bit Rate Throttling seems to be an ancient extension that support IIS 7 and below.

I’m not sure whether the extension could keep working in IIS 8.

The following link provide the method to configure throttling:

https://www.iis.net/learn/media/bit-rate-throttling/bit-rate-throttling-configuration-walkthrough

Best Regards,

Yuk Ding

Yuk Ding

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.