Maximum WebFarm in a ARR 3.0 [Answered]RSS

2 replies

Last post Aug 23, 2016 02:31 AM by Rovastar

• Maximum WebFarm in a ARR 3.0

Aug 09, 2016 05:21 PM|Cedric Boivin|LINK

Hello, 

I want to know how many server farm (webfarm) i could configure in one IIS server. It's there some recomandation about that. Minimum material requirement, benchmark or something else?

Thanks

• Re: Maximum WebFarm in a ARR 3.0

Aug 10, 2016 08:47 AM|Jean Sun|LINK

Hi Cedric,

ARR 3.0 allow one server to be added in multiple server farms. However, if you are trying to add one server to second server farm, a rewrite rule conflict information will occurs.

We recommend you use only one web farm for one server otherwise the target for load balance will not be accessed.

Best regards,

Jean

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.
  • Rovastar Rovastar

5445 Posts

MVP

Re: Maximum WebFarm in a ARR 3.0

Aug 23, 2016 02:31 AM|Rovastar|LINK

Sorry Jean  I am unmarking this as an answer.

You can have many web farms containing many servers.Currently I have an ARR server with about 20 farms hitting about 8 different servers with each farm with 1-3 servers.

As for a limit I am not sure. I expect hundreds or thousands I have never tested that far.

It all depends on your rewrite rules about what traffic hits each server.

The default wizards do not give the best performance or flexibility. Most people that use ARR in the wild to any degree do not use these wizards and configure separately.

To understand ARR I suggest to watch  and understand Scott Forsyth's video series starting here

http://dotnetslackers.com/articles/iis/Introduction-to-Application-Request-Routing-Week-31.aspx

Maybe I need to do a separate walkthrough guide on this also.

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/