slow page loadRSS

4 replies

Last post Feb 07, 2020 08:59 AM by ClaudeH

• slow page load

Jun 15, 2016 07:12 PM|cstobbe|LINK

We are running 2 IIS servers (Windows Server 2012 (not R2)). Both are more or less identical. One is a production server, receiving a large flow of traffic from the internet. The other is for development and testing so traffic is very low.

Requests to the test machine are consistently coming back much slower than the same requests to the production machine. A request to a very small hello.html file containing only HTML (no images, JavaScript, etc.) takes 1.2 seconds on the test machine and 0.06 seconds on the production machine.

This is not a case of IIS on the test machine waking up from being idle. I can reload the page again and again and it is consistently taking longer than 1 second.

The performance is even more pronounced when requesting a page full of images and other resources, as the request for each resource takes more than a second.

I have been struggling to see the difference between these 2 machines that would cause one to be so much slower than the other. The test machine has slightly less memory and is on slower hardware, but the memory and hardware resources should still be adequate for decent speed, especially since the test machine serves a very low web traffic volume.

Any ideas?

• Rovastar Rovastar

5457 Posts

MVP

Re: slow page load

Jun 15, 2016 08:35 PM|Rovastar|LINK

Maybe the production server has cached that information on that page. Try repeatedly loading the page up on dev and then do a test.

Otherwise look at network differences

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/
  • Re: slow page load

Jun 22, 2016 10:42 PM|cstobbe|LINK

It doesn't matter how often I reload the page. It is always slow.

The slow response is seen even when running the browser on the same machine as IIS, do I don't think it should be a problem with networking.

Jun 23, 2016 08:12 AM|Jean Sun|LINK

Hi,

Do you access your test server's website using localhost? If localhost is fast but remote is slow, it should be related to Bandwidth limit.

Is there any error message in the IIS log?

Please try enable the 32-bit applications of the application pool. (Similar case : Why is IIS slower than ASP.NET Development Server?)

Best Regards,

Jean

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
    If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Feb 07, 2020 08:59 AM|ClaudeH|LINK

Hi

I known almost 4 years later.... but did you fix your issue? I am facing the same, web app response time is quite good from the Internet but extremely slow from server local browsing.