We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

IIS Management ServiceRSS

1 reply

Last post Jun 20, 2016 11:47 PM by jasonperez

• IIS Management Service

Mar 29, 2016 01:15 PM|arslanbtk|LINK

Hello there, 

I am  seniour IIS administrator who manages several IIS servers. In our company I  have junior iis administrators who help me with everyday tasks. I would like to revoke their RDP rights from the Win Svr 2012 and yet enable them remotely manage servers over IIS Management Service. I have successfully setup remote administration and provided them with the access over internal FW.

The problem is that I would like to track  what kind of configurations they have made and be able to preserve those logs shall  we need to revoke the configuration changes to the previous config. (Thus I need to know what is the new committed config and what it was prior to the change). I have enabled   WMSvc (Web Management Service W3C Logging) and Event Viewer → App and Services Logs → Microsoft→ Windows → IIS Configuration → Operational ( I have enabled it)

Web Management Service W3C Logging:  It doesnot  capture details which I need. It states that some configuration was changed on  bindings, default document and etc. But it does not provide answers to following questions: ex: Which website/application pool was it? What was the config? What was committed/changed? 

IIS Configuration → Operational: It provides some sort of detail. But the problem is that only changes that are committed locally over IIS manager are logged. When I alter or add a new config remotely over Management Service the actions are not logged in the event viewer. 

Could you please assist me to overcome the issue?

Thanks. 

• Re: IIS Management Service

Jun 20, 2016 11:47 PM|jasonperez|LINK

try to play the event viewer, configure it to send a message to your email when changes are made. you can use computer management to configure it.