File Permission Issue with Uploaded Documents through Joomla [Answered]RSS

4 replies

Last post Feb 19, 2015 07:57 AM by SteveAudus

• File Permission Issue with Uploaded Documents through Joomla

Jan 28, 2015 09:21 AM|SteveAudus|LINK

Hello IIS Geniuses,

I am running Joomla 3 on IIS 7

When I upload any media via the Joomla web site, or via the media manager on the backend. The files appear to be missing some security permissions, which generate "500 - Internal server error." errors when attempting to access them from links on the sites.

Copied files into the folders on the server, have the following permissions. IUSR, SYSTEM, SERVER\Administrators, SERVER\Users, SERVER\IIS_IUSRS, TrustInstaller These files display and link fine on the web site.

Uploaded files via website or the media manager, have the following permissions. IUSR, SYSTEM, SERVER\Administrators,

If I add SERVER\IIS_IUSRS manually to the file, then problem solved. But how do I switch this on automatically for our site, so users can upload files, without the need for me to manually change the permissions.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Steve

iusr joomla permissions

• Re: File Permission Issue with Uploaded Documents through Joomla

Jan 29, 2015 02:08 AM|Pengzhen Song - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

The image issue was a permission issue, but simply setting it manually on the original image file or parent folder is inadequate.  The behavior of WordPress is that it writes the original file using IUSR to a temporary system directory that is defined in the PHP.ini file.  This temp folder does not have IIS_IUSRS permissions on it, so when windows moves this file from the temp folder to the application’s upload folder, its final home, IIS_IUSRS only has read permissions, so the permissions are not inherited from the file’s parent folder.”

For more information, please refer to the document:

http://www.caspianit.co.uk/wordpress-image-request-causes-500-50-url-rewrite-module-error/

iusr joomla permissions

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience. Click HERE to participate the survey.
    Thanks!

Feb 05, 2015 04:27 AM|SteveAudus|LINK

Hi Pengzhen,

thank you for the suggestion, it could be a step in the right direction.

All uploaded documents drop into c:\inetpub\wwwroot\images

But do not automatically inherit all the security setting from this folder.

If it is the security permissions on the Temp folder, as suggested, note : it's for Joomla, not Wordpress.

The PHP.ini Temporary directory is not specified, so it's using system default, but which folder is the system default?

Temporary directory for HTTP uploaded files (will use system default if not
    ; specified).

c:\inetpub\temp or c:\inetpub\wwwroot\tmp

Thank you for any further help.

iusr joomla permissions

Feb 06, 2015 09:39 PM|Pengzhen Song - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

To change the location of your temp folder, Please refer to the steps:

Step 1.Log into your Joomla 3.0 admin dashboard
    Step 2.In the left menu, click the Global Configuration link
    Step 3.At the top of the page, you will see several tabs such as Site, System, Server, etc. Click the Server tab.
    Step 4.Next to Path to Temp Folder, enter the full path to your tmp folder and then click the Save button in the top left of the page.

By default it will be set to (path/to/joomla)/tmp 
    If the new temp folder does not exist, Joomla 3.0 will attempt to create it the next time it needs it.

For more information, please refer to the document:

http://www.inmotionhosting.com/support/edu/joomla-3/server-settings/change-path-to-temp-folder

iusr joomla permissions

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience. Click HERE to participate the survey.
    Thanks!

Feb 19, 2015 07:57 AM|SteveAudus|LINK

Hi Pengzhen,

I check the permissions on the existing tmp folder, and even tried getting Joomla to create a new tmp folder, but it appears that the folder is not used when uploading files onto the site.

So the original problem still exists.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you

Steve

iusr joomla permissions