Running 32bit App on Win64 Using IISRSS

3 replies

Last post Dec 09, 2014 11:40 AM by billbell52

• Running 32bit App on Win64 Using IIS

Dec 06, 2014 10:45 AM|billbell52|LINK

I am moving to a Win7 64-bit IIS computer from a Win7 32-bit IIS computer.  I have a problem with one php script that starts Office Word.  It does not work on 64-bit IIS.  On IIS I enabled the app pool to run 32-bit apps to run and set the 'Identity' of the app pool to a user.  This works on Win7 32-bit IIS Express and IIS.  It also works on Win7 64-bit IIS Express.  I boiled the script down to Word simply writing a one line text file.

<?php
            if (is_dir("C:\Program Files (x86)")){
                $runWord = '"C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office14\Winword.exe C:\userdata\tripq\trip-web\test.dotm"';
            } else {
                $runWord = '"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\Winword.exe" "C:\userdata\tripq\trip-web\test.dotm"';
            }
            $WshShell1 = new COM("WScript.Shell");
            $oExec1 = $WshShell1->Run($runWord, 7, true);
            $oExec1 = null;
    ?>

I have looked for several days now and can't find anything to help.  On the few postings I have found the solution always appears to be to switch to the 64-bit version.  There are several issues with switching to Office 64-bit so I would like to try to get Word 32-bit working. 

This is used in a small office with about 10 users.

Do you have any ideas on what to try?

• Re: Running 32bit App on Win64 Using IIS

Dec 08, 2014 04:01 AM|Michelle Ge - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

If you want to run 32bit application on Win64, please refer to the steps below to set up the IIS:

1. Open IIS
    2. Go to current server – > Application Pools
    3. Select the application pool your 32-bit application will run under
    4. Click Advanced setting or Application Pool Default
    5. Set Enable 32-bit Applications to True

For more information, please refer to the links below:

http://www.codeproject.com/Tips/325824/Running-a-bit-application-under-IIS-on-a-bit

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/WindowsServer2003/Library/IIS/13f991a5-45eb-496c-8618-2179c3753bb0.mspx?mfr=true

Hope it's useful for you.

Best Regards,

Michelle Ge

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    Feedback to us

Dec 09, 2014 10:31 AM|billbell52|LINK

Thanks for the reply.

As noted in my posting I have already enabled 32-bit apps.  I also set a custom Identity to a user that can run Word.  It does not appear that enable 32-bit apps works properly.  I have seen 2 other posts that imply that.  I have not confirmed that Word 64-bit solves the problem.  All I can say is it works on IIS Win 7 32-bit and it works on IIS Express 32-bit.  I was looking for ideas to debug it or other things to try.  I may try Office 64-bit.  This presents some other problems so I would like to avoid it.  You can't have Office 32-bit and Office 64-bit on the same computer.

Dec 09, 2014 11:40 AM|billbell52|LINK

How can I tell that 32-bit is enabled? I tried to look for some process that is running but I can't find anything.

Answered my own question.

I checked and w3wp.exe is running and it has a *32 by it so it is running 32-bit.