FEATURE REQUEST/ENHANCEMENT: IP Restriction CommentsRSS

2 replies

Last post Feb 26, 2015 03:58 PM by M-Clark

• FEATURE REQUEST/ENHANCEMENT: IP Restriction Comments

Nov 21, 2014 12:26 PM|M-Clark|LINK

We have a test IIS server that we have set up to restrict only certain IP addresses that are allowed to access it. This list can get somewhat long. We also will at some point want to restrict certain applications our live IIS server to only certain IP addresses. Right now all you can do is add an IP address to the list. I would like to also be able to add a comment or description along with that, so that when I am in IIS viewing the IPs that are allowed to access the server or the application, I can see some information about that IP. I might add a description of, say, a user name belonging to the IP, purpose for the exception, location of machine, date when the exception can be removed, etc.

Thank you.

• Re: FEATURE REQUEST/ENHANCEMENT: IP Restriction Comments

Dec 11, 2014 08:46 AM|Perkinsville|LINK

Hi,

It is possible for you to extend and or create custom schema extensions.  It is likely something like this could be helpful.

http://www.iis.net/learn/develop/extending-iis-configuration/extending-iis-schema-and-accessing-the-custom-sections-using-mwa

HTH, Benjamin

• Re: FEATURE REQUEST/ENHANCEMENT: IP Restriction Comments

Feb 26, 2015 03:58 PM|M-Clark|LINK

Thanks for your suggestion. However, I would simply like this field added to IIS Manager. Along with specifying an IP address or subrange, I would like an additional text box in that dialog where I can enter a description or comment for that IP, and then have that description shown along with the IP in the list of IPs. I think this would be beneficial overall for any user and I don't want to extend the schema or create an application or anything like that, which would be overkill.