We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Application Initialization Warmup periodRSS

2 replies

Last post Feb 12, 2018 07:02 PM by Fistandantis

• Application Initialization Warmup period

Oct 07, 2014 06:20 AM|vvvetrivel|LINK

Hello there,

We have two IIS 7.5 web applications with below settings (2 different app pools),

1. Application 1 - Idletimeout = 0

2. Application 2 - Idletimeout = 20 (default value) - Application Initialization configured for this site.

Question 1

When we analyzed the performance of the both the sites, Application 1 is responding faster than Application 2 (After the new worker process generated due to idleness)

Question 2

For application 2, the new worker process gets generated after few minutes when the site is idle. What does this few minutes/ warm up period refer to? Where it can be configured?

Question 3

Assume like I have configured 'Application Initialization' for Application 1 as well (along with Idletimeout = 0)

Now if I recycle the app pool manually and assume no requests have reached the server yet, then will the Application Initialization sends the request after the warm up period?

Thanks,

V.Vetrivelmurugan

• Re: Application Initialization Warmup period

Oct 15, 2014 09:29 AM|Perkinsville|LINK

Hi,

When you set idletimeout to 0, it will not shutdown and remains active.

If you configure Application Initialization correctly it will make a request to http://localhost:80 after the process is recycled.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/benjaminperkins/archive/tags/application+initialization/

HTH, Benjamin

• Re: Application Initialization Warmup period

Feb 12, 2018 07:02 PM|Fistandantis|LINK

I have implemented Application Initialization in our IIS 8.5 Windows Server 2012 R2. I can see from my log files that it does fire a "fake" request to my application to "warm it up", however the first request still takes 15-20 seconds for IIS to serve the application vs every other request @ 2-3 seconds. I have even precompiled all my razor views so that IIS does not have to. After a restart I can see a new folder in Temporary IIS Cache, but like I said, first request still takes 15-20 seconds vs 2-3 on other requests. How can I achieve 2-3 second wait on first request?