ARR Helper (for IIS8) [Answered]RSS

7 replies

Last post Aug 28, 2014 05:15 AM by MetUys

• ARR Helper (for IIS8)

Aug 11, 2014 04:40 AM|MetUys|LINK

Good day,

I know this was a separate application developed to help out with the mapping of "Forwarded_For" IPs to replace the C-IP, so that remote addresses would be passed through.

Sadly it looks like that developer has left MS and it seems that project has been abandoned, is there any chance a client can be put together to facilitate this again for IIS8 systems (where the AAR-help for IIS7 no longer functions as expected)?

I see a lot of people posting about it and I'm sure it will help with driving more people to use this if there was a available tool for it.

arr iis8

• Re: ARR Helper (for IIS8)

Aug 11, 2014 10:34 PM|Pengzhen Song - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

You can try configure arr via IIS Manger. 

Click Application Request Routing Cache node-->Server Proxy Settings-->Preserve client IP in the following header--> leave it blank. The default value is X-Forwarded-For. If you leave this field blank, then no client IP address will be passed through as a custom header to the application server.

Hope it can help you.

arr iis8

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience. Click HERE to participate the survey.
    Thanks!

Aug 22, 2014 09:07 AM|MetUys|LINK

Hi,

we need the client IP to be preserved in the IIS logs as "cip" not "x-forwarded-for" the main reason is pre existing logging tools that use that value for reports. sadly the tools don't allow for us to add a custom fields or substitute the value into cip from x-forwarded-for.

As it is the "cip" is the ARR servers IP and the "x-forwarded-for" is the originating client IP. I'm happy if these can be switched around so that the "cip" is the originating client IP and the x-forwarded-for is the ARR IP.

is this possible?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

arr iis8

• DropPhone DropPhone

360 Posts

Microsoft

Re: ARR Helper (for IIS8)

Aug 22, 2014 04:32 PM|DropPhone|LINK

MetUys

(where the AAR-help for IIS7 no longer functions as expected)?

I'm assuming you mean the ARR Helper (requestRouterHelper.dll).  Is this correct?

I'm using requestRouterHelper on Server 2012 R2 with no issue.  What problems are you observing?

Thx!

--E.

arr iis8

Aug 27, 2014 11:46 AM|MetUys|LINK

Hi DropPhone,

Correct I'm referring to the AAR Help for IIS7 that installs the requestRouterHelper.dll in the IIS Modules section.

I have tried on a few Server 2012 systems and the dll doesn't show in the modules section after installation.

can you maybe step me/us through the install process you used to get the dll into the modules section?

arr iis8

• DropPhone DropPhone

360 Posts

Microsoft

Aug 27, 2014 12:49 PM|DropPhone|LINK

Okay, here's what I did:

1. Install latest ARR (v3) using Web Platform Installer onto my ARR box.
    2. Go to the install directory where ARR was installed on the ARR box (%ProgramFiles%\IIS\Application Request Routing), find requestrouterhelper_<flavor>.msi, and copy it to each of your web farm workers.  Since I have all x64 boxes, I copied requestrouterhelper_x64.msi
    3. On each of your web farm workers, go to an admin command prompt and run/install requestrouterhelper_<flavor>.msi from step 2.

That's it.

This is all assuming you're using IIS 7 or above.  If you're using IISExpress on the web farm workers, then you'll have to find the applicationHost.config file for IISExpress and do the following:

First, do all the steps above. Then:

1. Confirm the MSI file dropped the helper DLL in the right place.  By default, the helper should be installed in "%ProgramFiles%\IIS\ARR Helper", and it should be named requestRouterHelper.dll.

2. From an admin prompt, edit applicationHost.config in your favorite text file editor (e.g. Notepad)

3. Find the <globalModules> section under <Configuration><system.webServer>, and add the following:

<add name="ARRHelper" image="%ProgramFiles%\IIS\ARR Helper\requestRouterHelper.dll" />

4. Find the <modules> section under <configuration><location path=""><system.webServer>, and add the following:

<add name="ARRHelper" />

Hope this helps!

--E.

arr iis8

• DropPhone DropPhone

360 Posts

Microsoft

Aug 27, 2014 12:58 PM|DropPhone|LINK

Ooops, forgot one step in the manual steps for IISExpress:

1a. Ensure the arr_helper_schema.xml file is installed in the schema directory.  By default, the requestrouterhelper_<flavor>.msi puts this in %SystemRoot%\System32\inetsrv\config\schema\arr_helper_schema.xml.  Copy this to the schema directory used by IISExpress (wherever you find IIS_schema.xml).

You'll get 500.19 errors if you don't have the arr_helper_schema.xml file in the right place.

Thx!

--E.

arr iis8

Aug 28, 2014 05:15 AM|MetUys|LINK

Thank You kindly for the steps.

I see where the issue came in, the AAR Helper on http://blogs.iis.net/anilr/archive/2009/03/03/client-ip-not-logged-on-content-server-when-using-arr.aspx is a different one (size wise) to the one that comes in the ARRv3 (found in the ARR install DIR on the ARR system).

I have used the one from the install DIR and its working....

Life saver! thanks a mil.

arr iis8