High IIS CPU during Smooth StreamingRSS

4 replies

Last post Apr 17, 2014 09:14 AM by Taras.Igorovich

• High IIS CPU during Smooth Streaming

Mar 28, 2014 10:16 AM|Taras.Igorovich|LINK

Hi everybody,

I have publishing point and pushing H264&AAC samples via SSF SDK and as soon as I start sending samples (via WinHTTP) I notice high cpu consumption (IIS process about 60%), this will be until PP shutdown. Interesting fact that even if I stop sending samples the high CPU will be still present, which seems strange for me.

As far as I understand IIS doesnt do much with samples (no decoding or encoding there) that's why low cpu is expected...

Any ideas to point me into right direction?

• Re: High IIS CPU during Smooth Streaming

Mar 31, 2014 01:37 AM|Pengzhen Song - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

I suggest that you should troubleshoot Live Smooth Streaming Issues(Performance Counters)

http://blogs.iis.net/samzhang/archive/2011/03/08/how-to-troubleshoot-live-smooth-streaming-issues-part-4-performance-counters.aspx

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience. Click HERE to participate the survey.
    Thanks!

Apr 10, 2014 08:14 AM|Taras.Igorovich|LINK

Hi, 

Thanks for the link, but I still can't figure out what is going on.

I followed http://blogs.iis.net/thalesc/archive/2011/02/08/how-to-do-live-streaming-with-the-smooth-streaming-format-sdk.aspx

and using long running HTTP POST requests which are chunk transfer encoded to send data to IIS Publishing point,

and first request with header (mediatype information) goes fine, but as soon as I sent first chunk with video data cpu goes extremly high. 

Note: despite the high cpu, smooth streaming and HLS works fine.

Apr 14, 2014 11:28 AM|Taras.Igorovich|LINK

What was recently investigated:

- App now sends fragments using multiple HTTP POST requests (one per fragment) instead of a single long running HTTP POST (one per stream), but it didn't helped.
    - It is enough to send even one fragment with video to IIS and high CPU will be until PP shutdown.

- In case of streaming from file, high cpu will be until sending of Index(SSFMuxGetIndex) to IIS PP

- When I'm using Expression Encoder to test and it's on same PC with IIS PP - CPU consamption is 0-1%, but if not it will cause high CPU, which is totally strange...

Apr 17, 2014 09:14 AM|Taras.Igorovich|LINK

Is it okay that after five HD H264 streams to Publishing Points IIS becomes unresponsive? I need to handle twenty....

PC with Publishing Points - Intel i5, 8GB of RAM, network adapter is 10% busy.

Encoders are working on other machines.

Is somewhere info about performance issues of Smooth streaming?