Classic ASP invokes dll - works in 32 bit OS but fails in 64 bit OS with IIS 7.5RSS

3 replies

Last post Dec 12, 2018 02:14 PM by mhb827

• Classic ASP invokes dll - works in 32 bit OS but fails in 64 bit OS with IIS 7.5

Feb 06, 2014 10:42 AM|ashok.k|LINK

Hi,

I am working on a Classic ASP application. It uses dlls to upload and download files to web server.

FunctionUpload.dll is registered using the regsvr32.exe command. It works fine in Windows 2003 server , 32 bit OS with  IIS 6.

Now the server is upgraded to Windows 2008 64 bit OS with IIS 7.5.  I registered the dll using regsvr32.exe  command in 64 bit OS. ( regsvr32.exe in C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder using Admin login)

When the ASP code tried to create an object of that dll it fails.

Set download = Server.CreateObject("FunctionUpload.File")

Please let me know what steps need to be done to access the dll from ASP code on a server with windows 2008 64 bit OS with  IIS 7.5?

How to check if the dll is registered properly on a 64 bit OS?

Should I make any changes in the IIS 7.5 settings to invoke that dll?

Thanks Ashok

asp Regsvr32

• Re: Classic ASP invokes dll - works in 32 bit OS but fails in 64 bit OS with IIS 7.5

Feb 06, 2014 11:21 AM|terridonahue|LINK

Hi, The SysWOW64 folder is actually the 32-bit dlls. Set your application pool to enable 32-bit applications in the ApplicationPool, Advanced Settings. Once you do that, the application should work as expected.

asp Regsvr32

Terri Donahue
    Microsoft MVP ASPNET/IIS

Please 'Mark as Answer' if this post helps you.
  • Re: Classic ASP invokes dll - works in 32 bit OS but fails in 64 bit OS with IIS 7.5

Feb 07, 2014 06:03 AM|ashok.k|LINK

Thanks for your reply. I enabled 32 bit applications in the application pool which is used.

I registered the dll in the Windows 2008 64 bit machine using regsvr32.exe in SysWOW64 folder and it is registered successfully.

When I invoke the dll, the ASP code fails and a message is shown in IE saying " Internet explorer cannot display the webpage "

In IIS setttings, I set Send errors to Browser as True.

In IE, under Advance tab, I unchecked "Show user friendly HTTP error messages"

But still I could not see the actual error that is thrown while calling the dll.

I also tried in ASP page. The Err number is 0.

On Error Resume Next

Set download = Server.CreateObject("FunctionUpload.File")

If Err.Number <> 0 Then  Response.Write Err.Description  Err.Clear  End if

ASP code fails and show IE cannot display the webpage after this line.

download.ToName filename

How to get the exact error message that occurs while calling the dll?

asp Regsvr32

Dec 12, 2018 02:14 PM|mhb827|LINK

is it resolved?