HTTP error 503 Service unavalible [Answered]RSS

5 replies

Last post Dec 31, 2013 08:57 PM by Angie xu - MSFT

• HTTP error 503 Service unavalible

Dec 29, 2013 03:59 AM|eugenelee0420|LINK

Hey guys,

So I set up a IIS server some time ago for some simple static webpages, and I didn't know much about it. And now after I messed up with some stuff I get the "Service Unavalible" error while browsing the page. I found that the relevent application pool stopped,but after I started it, it stopped again after I reload the page. I tried to re-enable IIS service and disable the "Rapid-fail protection" and that gives me a webpage that is loading forever.

You can check out my website here: eugene.madhacker.biz

I am running windows 8.1 and IIS 6

Sorry for I didn't know much about IIS, and thanks for your help.

• Re: HTTP error 503 Service unavalible

Dec 29, 2013 10:04 PM|Angie xu - MSFT|LINK

Hi eugenelee

eugenelee0420

HTTP error 503 Service unavalible

For this error message,

The request is sent to an application pool that is currently stopped or that is currently disabled. To resolve this issue, make sure that the destination application pool is started. The event log may give information about why the application pool is stopped or disabled.

I’d like to suggest you to enable the failed Request Tracing in IIS, this will give me some hint on why a request has failed, we can enable this Failed Request Tracing in the IIS by steps below,

1. Open Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager:
    2. In the Connections pane, select the server connection, site, application, or directory for which you want to configure failed request tracing.
    3. In the Actions pane, click Failed Request Tracing...
    4. In the Edit Web Site Failed Request Tracing Settings dialog box, select the Enable check box to enable tracing, leave the default value or type a new directory where you want to store failed request log files in the Directory box, type the number of failed request trace files you want to store in the Maximum number of trace files box, and then click OK.

You can check log files in C:\inetpub\logs\FailedReqLogFiles, it will give more details to troubleshoot this issue.

eugenelee0420

I am running windows 8.1 and IIS 6

Why do you use IIS 6.0 in Windows 8.1 on your side? you can use IIS 8.5 with WIndows 8.1.

Best regards

Angie

Angie xu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.

Dec 29, 2013 10:57 PM|eugenelee0420|LINK

Hi Angie,

Thanks for your help and your detailed instructions, and I just enabled failed request tracing in the server. I figured out that I must enable tracing feature in order to get the logs, so thats why I can't provide log files.Tongue Out

Angie xu - MSFT

Why do you use IIS 6.0 in Windows 8.1 on your side? you can use IIS 8.5 with WIndows 8.1.

I just find out I am using IIS 8.5 but before I was thought I was using 6 because I saw the IIS 6 management compatibility option when I was enabling IIS.Surprised

P.S. I don't get any logs after browsing my page, or maybe I need to wait for a day or two?Frown

Best regards,

Eugene

Dec 30, 2013 08:50 PM|Angie xu - MSFT|LINK

Hi Eugene

Thanks for your feedback.

For this 503 error message, it seems that the request is sent to an application pool that is currently stopped or that is currently disabled, please check it on your side. And then follow the logfile to troubleshoot. :)

Best regards

Angie

Angie xu

MSDN Community Support

Dec 30, 2013 09:48 PM|eugenelee0420|LINK

Hi Angie,

Thanks for your reply.Smile

Angie xu - MSFT

For this 503 error message, it seems that the request is sent to an application pool that is currently stopped or that is currently disabled, please check it on your side. And then follow the logfile to troubleshoot. :)

An application pool is indeed stopped, but when I start it again and reload the page, it stopped itself again. I tried to disable the rapid-fail protection of the application pool and it gives me a page that is loading forever. And I get no log files. Frown

So that means something is causing the application pool to stop, and the rapid-fail protection is protecting it from loading forever.

I think we need to find out what causes the application pool to stop, and the problem will be solved.

Best regards,

Eugene

Dec 31, 2013 08:57 PM|Angie xu - MSFT|LINK

Hi Eugene

eugenelee0420

And I get no log files. Frown

It's also recommanded to use Fiddler on your side, it captures HTTP(S) traffic and logs it for the user to review. It can also be used to "fiddle" with HTTP traffic as it is being sent.

#Install Fiddler

http://fiddler2.com/get-fiddler

hope it helps.

Regards

Angie xu

MSDN Community Support