Updateing multiple .asp pages within a single recordRSS

6 replies

Last post Jan 12, 2014 08:17 PM by Ken Schaefer

• Updateing multiple .asp pages within a single record

Dec 04, 2013 09:15 AM|gcqji|LINK

I am currently using Frontpage to create .asp pages for updating and viewing my access 2000 database.

Instead of typing in an access code for a series of single client updates, is it an .asp function to enable me tostay within the same record while jumping from one .asp page to the other?

Thanks,

Ron

• Re: Updateing multiple .asp pages within a single record

Dec 04, 2013 09:23 AM|jeff@zina.com|LINK

No.  ASP Classic interprets each "page" (it's a script) individually.  You need to open and close your connection in the same script/page.  You could rewrite the program so you didn't need extra pages.

Keep in mind that boith Front Page and Access 2000 are more than a decade out of date.  You really need to update/upgrade.

Jeff

Have you Binged a solution before posting?

Dec 04, 2013 09:28 AM|gcqji|LINK

I am actually starting to move to either expressionweb and/or MWD and .aspnet. To the best of your knowlege, would this function be available in .aspnet?

Dec 06, 2013 08:45 AM|jeff@zina.com|LINK

The only way to easily do this would be to open the record and insert the fileds in an array.  Update the fields as needed and then commit the trasaction on the last page.

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but I think you need to write the program better.  It's easy to update multiple fields ina  database on a single page, I'm noit sure why you think you need multiple pages.

Code snippets might help.

Jeff

Have you Binged a solution before posting?

Dec 06, 2013 11:27 AM|gcqji|LINK

Jeff:

This is a for a remote system within the service industry, where the user views the work, and uses a series of templated drop down lists from a tablet, where there are drop-down heading fields and corresponding drop-down comment fields ,so that information can be remotely entered about the work.

Instead of having all heading and comment fields within a one-page template, I have split up the template into a series of initial entry and edit pages,  where when an initial entry page (drop down lists)  is submitted, it  jumps to a corresponing editing page for those few fields only, within which the user can tweek each field entry statement more easily and safely, and then advance to the next set initial entry and editing pages in the template series.

I was hoping thaty there would be a way to have the selected record appear as the next submission page in the series, after the submission of the previous page, so that the user didn't have to type in that particular records code each time it advances to the next sequential page.

It is not practical(for our purposes) to have all entries made from one page and then submit at the bottom of the one page.

Ron

Dec 18, 2013 12:27 PM|Mr Bee|LINK

Jan 12, 2014 08:17 PM|Ken Schaefer|LINK

gcqji

I was hoping thaty there would be a way to have the selected record appear as the next submission page in the series, after the submission of the previous page, so that the user didn't have to type in that particular records code each time it advances to the next sequential page.

Yes, this is easily doable.

In general, your ASP page will look like this:

http://www.adopenstatic.com/resources/code/UIValidation1.asp

Post the page back to itself, validate all user input.

If it's valid, then insert the new record, retrieve the primary key value of the new record

Redirect to the next page, and you can pass the value of the record in the querystring.

On the second page, use the querystring value to retrieve the necessary details for populating the editing fields.

Cheers
    Ken