The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'.  [Answered]RSS

1 reply

Last post Nov 11, 2013 04:10 AM by Terry Guo - MSFT

• The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'.

Nov 09, 2013 05:40 AM|Tabish.a|LINK

<div>

Hello guys.

i am a begginer in web development. and m currently stuck in a situation.

i am using macromedia dreamweaver 8 (and adobe dreamweaver at times). i created a website, and turned on my locahost 6.0 (on WINDOWS 7). and made connection to local host. everything was wrokng fine. but as soon as i linked my DATABASE with my website, the website started showing this error:

"The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data win /tabishkitchen/pakistani.asp, line 8 "

i have granted permissions to my WWWROOT folder, as well as my INETPUB folder, as well as my DATABASE FILE(.MDB).

the dsn connection is not marked as EXCLUSIVE.

and the database file is not opened anywhere else (as far as i think..)

and now i dont know what to do :( any help???

</div>
  • Re: The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'.

Nov 11, 2013 04:10 AM|Terry Guo - MSFT|LINK

Hi Tabish,

Please refer to the following solutions:

• Check the permissions on the file and the folder. Make sure that you have the ability to create and/or destroy any temporary files. Temporary files are usually created in the same folder as the database, but the file may also be created in other folders such as the WINNT folder.  For additional information about how to identify which folder does not have the correct permissions and how to configure temporary files, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: <div class="indent">253604 <div class="pLink">      (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253604/            )    </div> Microsoft Access 97 database connectivity fails in Active Server Pages</div> If you use a network path to the database (UNC or mapped drive), check the permissions on the share, the file, and the folder.
    • Verify that the file and the data source name (DSN) are not marked as Exclusive.
    • The "other user" may be Microsoft Visual InterDev. Close any Visual InterDev projects that contain a data connection to the database.
    • Simplify. Use a System DSN that uses a local drive letter. If necessary, move the database to the local drive to test.
    • Follow the instructions in the following article to work around this problem: <div class="indent">189408 <div class="pLink">      (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/189408/            )    </div> FIX: ASP fails to access network files under IIS 4.0 and IIS 5.0</div>

More information pease refer to:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306269

Hope it can help you.

Best Regards,
    Terry Guo

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience. Click HERE to participate the survey. Thanks!