iis stops serving requests but all services started [Answered]RSS

3 replies

Last post Oct 23, 2013 06:01 AM by Rovastar

• iis stops serving requests but all services started

Oct 19, 2013 10:11 AM|phazedoubt|LINK

I have a Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2 with IIS running on it. One of my techs that is slated with the task of performing scheduled maintenance and updates on this server called me after updating the server on Sept. 16. He stated that the server would not boot past the startup screen after waiting 3 hours. We made the decision to hard reboot and did an F8 boot to last known good configuration. This worked as a stop gap but any time the server is rebooted since that time the last known good configuration has to be selected. We decided to keep the server up until we could pull it down for troubleshooting.  After about 1 week users started complaining that they couldn't access webmail and all iphones and ipads stoped synching as well. After doing some onlune troubleshooting we discovered that even though iis and all related services were running and responsive via telnet port 80, it was an iis issue. No websites were browseable either via right click and browse in the mmc or by typing the fqdn. The only temporary solution is to restart the server. The timing between reboots is becoming more frequent. This is my weekend to get it fixed. Any suggestions?

• Re: iis stops serving requests but all services started

Oct 22, 2013 07:26 AM|justadude|LINK

What updates were done to the system? Are there any related event viewer messages or info in any log files that can give you a clue for why it stops servicing? Is this something you can use debugdiag to capture something? Are there any troubleshooting tools you can do when you reboot the server to capture a dump for analysis to find out what is causing it to go into that state? I'm just brainingstorming here.

• Re: iis stops serving requests but all services started

Oct 22, 2013 11:30 PM|Angie xu - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

From your description above, it seems that this issue is related with your updates installed.

You can enable trace logging for failed requests when you want to log information about failed requests to an IIS site or application. 

# Enable Trace Logging for Failed Requests (IIS 7)

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725786(v=ws.10).aspx 

Or you can also install Fiddler to monitor the process. I think it will give us some hints to troubleshoot,

#Install Fiddler

http://fiddler2.com/get-fiddler

Best regards

Angie xu

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue.
  • Rovastar Rovastar

5468 Posts

MVP

Re: iis stops serving requests but all services started

Oct 23, 2013 06:01 AM|Rovastar|LINK

Sadly there is no Failed request tracing for Windwos 2003/IIS6

It looks like you have bigger poblems than IIS here. 3 hours to login! Maybe communciating with the domain controller (if you ae doing that) if it is local login then really I woudl looking at rebuilding the box.

If you get telnet on port 80 to the site and it respods than IIS is wok (to a degree at least) look in your IIS logs for any traffic.

Troubleshoot IIS in style
    https://www.leansentry.com/