Enforcing IIS Bandwidth limits to connection on same machine?RSS

3 replies

Last post Oct 04, 2013 08:58 AM by always_learning

• Enforcing IIS Bandwidth limits to connection on same machine?

Sep 25, 2013 12:57 PM|always_learning|LINK

I have a configuration where a large # of clients make HTTP requests through a proxy that resides on the same machine as IIS.

The requests appear to IIS as local connections from the proxy process (on the same server).   

My basic testing has shown that IIS does not enforce maxBandwidth against local processes.   I set a quick test using a static file, set the maxBandwidth and then downloaded the file from a local browser and a remote browser.   The remote browser got a download rate matching the maxBandwidth setting.   The local browser was unconstrained.  

Is there any way to get IIS to enforce maxBandwidth against local connections as well?

Thanks

limit bandwidth localhost

• Re: Enforcing IIS Bandwidth limits to connection on same machine?

Sep 26, 2013 06:02 AM|Pengzhen Song - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

You can try setting maxGlobalBandWidth which specifies the maximum total bandwidth for the server. Setting the value to 0 enables unlimited bandwidth for the server.

For more information, you can refer here

http://www.iis.net/configreference/system.applicationhost/weblimits

And here about Limiting network bandwidth available to a website.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/girish/archive/2008/02/01/limiting-network-bandwidth-available-to-a-website.aspx

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience. Click HERE to participate the survey.
    Thanks!

Sep 26, 2013 03:46 PM|always_learning|LINK

Nope.   No effect.    Set it to 16384, but on the local machine, browser downloads an 8MB binary file in < 1 sec.

Using a browser external to the server, it paces nicely at 16KB/sec   .    Same result as setting the Site specific maxBandwidth.

Oct 04, 2013 08:58 AM|always_learning|LINK

I am thinking at this point the issue is not so much with what setting but rather that the throttling module is inserted somewhere in the stack that doesnt end up affecting localhost connections. 

Anyone?