Visual Studio 2012.2 Cannot Create Web Site with IIS 8 Express  [Answered]RSS

2 replies

Last post May 10, 2013 05:29 AM by Chen Yu - MSFT

• Visual Studio 2012.2 Cannot Create Web Site with IIS 8 Express

May 08, 2013 01:50 PM|gerryw4|LINK

I am trying to create an empty web application with Visual Studio 2012 Update 2 and I get the following message:

"Configuring Web http://localhost:52977 for ASP.NET failed. You must manually configure this site for ASP.NET 4.5 in order for the site to run correctly.  Visual studio cannot detect whether this virtual root has been configured for use with ASP.NET 4.0. The likely cause is that you do not have sufficient priviledges to access the IIS metabase. You may need to manually configure this site for ASP.NET 4.0 in order for your site to run correctly."

1. IIS 8, the ASP.NET v4.0, ASP.NET v4.0 Classic and DefaultAppPool are all configured to use .NET Framework Version 4.0.30319 (which is ASP.NET 4.5)

2. The target framework for the project in VS is .NET Framework 4.5

3. Does IIS 8 even use the IIS metabase?

4. There are 2 applicationhost.config files.  One seems to be used by Visual studio and the other by WebMatrix 3.  They are both configured to use .Net 4.0.30319.

When I try to run the application I get a message: "Unable to launch IIS Express Web server."

I am also trying to develop a Lightswitch HTML Client which uses IIS 8 Express.  When I try to run my Lightswitch HTML Client application I get: "Unable to start LightSwitch Server."  I believe this is also an error with my IIS 8 express configuration.

It works great on my Notebook computer!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

• Re: Visual Studio 2012.2 Cannot Create Web Site with IIS 8 Express

May 09, 2013 12:16 PM|gerryw4|LINK

I am posting a solution that worked for me in case anybody winds up here with the same problem:

1. Uninstall VS 2012
    2. Uninstall WebMatrix 3
    3. Uninstall IIS 8 Express
    4. Reinstall VS 2012 Update 2
    5. Repair .NET Framework 4.5 (I would try this first since things started working after I did this)
    6. Reinstall WebMatrix 3
  • Re: Visual Studio 2012.2 Cannot Create Web Site with IIS 8 Express

May 10, 2013 05:29 AM|Chen Yu - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

Glad to hear that and thank you for sharing your solution here.

Regards,

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    Feedback to us