IIS installation issue on Server 2003 R2 VM [Answered]RSS

2 replies

Last post Feb 04, 2013 03:01 AM by Chen Yu - MSFT

• IIS installation issue on Server 2003 R2 VM

Jan 30, 2013 09:09 AM|CH4NG|LINK

Hi,

I have two clean Server 2003 R2 Standard VMs created from template that i am having issues installing IIS on.

IIS apparently installs successfully from add/remove Windows components, but the default website remains in a stopped state and will not start.  i have tried resetting IIS, rebooting, uninstalling/reinstalling from add/remove Windows components but nothing will work.

Interestingly, IIS fails to install when it is attempted through server manager add roles.

The only thing i can think of that could be causing this is the fact the VMs were created from template, as both are exhibiting the same symptoms.

Can anyone suggest what else the problem might be before i destroy these VMs and install from scratch?

Thanks in advance.

• Re: IIS installation issue on Server 2003 R2 VM

Jan 30, 2013 09:50 AM|CH4NG|LINK

I managed to resolve this by modifying the Administrator permissions on the following registry key to Full Control, then uninstalling/reinstalling IIS...no idea why they were set to Read in the first place...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\CURRENT VERSION\SVCHOST

• Re: IIS installation issue on Server 2003 R2 VM

Feb 04, 2013 03:01 AM|Chen Yu - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your solutions and experience here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

Thanks.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    Feedback to us