We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

<video> tag with multi <source> tags in Webmatrix [Answered]RSS

6 replies

Last post Nov 07, 2012 09:42 AM by Diaren

• <video> tag with multi <source> tags in Webmatrix

Oct 09, 2012 11:42 PM|alanpb360|LINK

I'm trying to use HTML5 tags to play ogv, mp4, and webm files in Webmatrix. I know about the video helpers for silverlight and flash, but can HTML5 tags be used in Webmatrix as well? I can't get them to work. I've got 3 books so far on Webmatrix and they only mention Flash and Silverlight. Thanks.
  • Re: <video> tag with multi <source> tags in Webmatrix

Oct 11, 2012 02:46 AM|Sukola|LINK

WebMatrix has been a very good tool for me to use developing a few sites that play music and music videos.

Here is music video example for you to take a look at.  It's 100% WebMatrix

http://sukola.net/html5.Default.cshtml

David Sukola

Oct 11, 2012 09:50 PM|alanpb360|LINK

That doesn't answer my question or come close to addressing the issue. I can get silver light and flash to play and it's very easy with the helpers. However,I shouldn't have to mention everything I already know here in order to get a question answered. Please just answer the question if you know, and if not please don't. Thanks.

Oct 11, 2012 10:10 PM|alanpb360|LINK

If you use the silver light helper or the flash helper, will the video play on all devices without the customer having to download a plug-in? I don't think flash works on the I-pad or the I-phone any way, and many of the new HTML5 devices require the <video> tag now. Does silver light play in phones, without having to download the plug-in?

I just need to know if the <video> tag can be used with multiple <source> tags so that the customers browser can simply pick which video to play from a list of all videos. I can include silver light, flash, and whatever else.

For the I-phone, the mp4 video has to be the first one on the list right after the <video> tag, and you cannot use the type attr. Some new devices play mp4 and others webm well, but they do a poor job of playing flash without it chocking.I don't know if a phone can play silver light or not. The last time I checked the android phone with a silver light video, it asked me to download the plug-in, but it had a problem and didn't work. That's been a year ago. Does it work now?

Oct 12, 2012 05:10 AM|Mark - MSFT|LINK

Hi,

We can use html5 video tag in webmatrix. Please take a look this:

http://vimeo.com/18616502

alanpb360

If you use the silver light helper or the flash helper, will the video play on all devices without the customer having to download a plug-in?

Yeah, plug-in need be installed.

alanpb360

Does silver light play in phones, without having to download the plug-in?

If using windows phone, you don't need download the plug-in.

Best Regards

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not.
    If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com
    Microsoft One Code Framework

Oct 12, 2012 07:14 PM|alanpb360|LINK

Thanks for answering the question. I watched the video. I don't know if that was French or German, but I can see that it can be done.  He used an HTML5 doc and used razor in the page to call a @HTML5VIDEO helper. I don't think I have that, and it may be something he created if I remember the book correctly.

So this does answer my question, but it doesn't help me in doing it. I can see that he used the <video> tag with an mp4 as the first <source> option and a silverlight video as the second option. So, I can see that the problem is on my end and not with webmatrix not allowing mep4.

Thank you. I will keep searching to figure out what I'm doing wrong and why my mp4's won't play in webmatrix, but work just fine in aptana studio. If you have a clue, please let me know. Thanks again.

Nov 07, 2012 09:42 AM|Diaren|LINK

Just add this to your web.config file:

<configuration>
      <system.webserver>
        <staticcontent>
          <mimemap fileextension=".mp4" mimetype="video/mp4"/>
          <mimemap fileextension=".webm" mimetype="video/webm"/>
          <mimemap fileextension=".ogv" mimetype="video/ogg"/>
        </staticcontent>
      </system.webserver>
    </configuration>