We are excited to announce that the IIS.NET Forums are moving to the new Microsoft Q&A experience. Learn more >

Windows Server NLBRSS

3 replies

Last post Apr 12, 2018 02:12 PM by marthasimons

• Windows Server NLB

Aug 29, 2012 01:45 PM|AndyEmmett|LINK

Hopefully this isn't a stupid question. I have WFF set up and running on 5 servers and if works pretty well. We do not use ARR because we use Windows built-in NLB. The problem is every once and a while, one on the servers seems to fall over at IIS level. The web farm controller detects this and marks the server as being offline so I was expecting the controller would remove the server from NLB, but this doesn't happen. From the documentation it seems that the Load balancing features are all based around ARR. Am I missing something or being unreasonable in my expectations?

Thanks

• Re: Windows Server NLB

Aug 29, 2012 03:57 PM|terridonahue|LINK

WFF does not natively remove a node from NLB. You are correct in that the Load Balancing features are based around ARR. You can write custom modules to interface with out load balancers but there isn't anything native to do that. There are some NLB cmdlets for Powershell that you could use to automate the removal of the node: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee817138.aspx.

Terri Donahue
    Microsoft MVP ASPNET/IIS

Please 'Mark as Answer' if this post helps you.

Sep 02, 2012 11:32 AM|AndyEmmett|LINK

Thanks Terri

Will look into this

Andy

Apr 12, 2018 02:12 PM|marthasimons|LINK

tell me please where i can read about balancing more ? embarassed

Just Do IT paper