IIS 7 and Above
Web Farm Framework
Web Farm Agent Service starting problems
Last post Jul 06, 2016 07:47 PM by navyjax2
Aug 16, 2012 12:37 PM|nastymatt|LINK
I am increasingly getting issues with the Web Farm Agent Service not starting on servers. "Error 1053, the service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion"
I have ran the windbg.exe monitor on it... but the output might as well be in a foreign language as it makes no sense... (out of around 100 servers I am seeing this on 6 so far.. but I fear this is going to increase)
Any ideas? I really do not want to have to go down the route and reinstalling this every time.
Oct 12, 2012 08:01 AM|Perkinsville|LINK
You may want to check the Event Viewer logs to see if there is anything of significance.
You may also want to check the WFF log files. They are usually located in the following directories:
Web Farm Service - C:\Program Files\IIS\Microsoft Web Farm Framework -> (Controller Server)
Web Farm Agent Service - C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS\Microsoft Web Farm Framework -> (Member Servers)
Consider adding EnabledTraceLevel DWORD to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\IIS Extensions\WebFarm Framework registry key. Values can be:
Oct 16, 2012 04:47 AM|blindrood|LINK
Try setting this registry value
Feb 21, 2014 03:40 PM|makHunter78|LINK
I had seen this solution for the Error 1053 issue in a few places but no one ever said if it worked to solve the problem. Thought I would do the world a favor...
Adding this registry value worked for me!
We have a couple of small farms using Web Farm Framework and one of the "client" servers quit accepting provisioning, mysteriously. The error on the controller server indicated that the controller could not talk to the Web Farm Agent Service on the client
server. That service would not start on the client server. I would get Error 1053 after 30 seconds upon trying a start command on the service.
I added the registry value above to change the default service timeout to 60 seconds and rebooted the server (which I had already tried several times to fix the original problem, so it wasn't just the reboot that fixed things). Now the service starts normally.
Hope this helps someone.
Jul 06, 2016 07:47 PM|navyjax2|LINK
For me, and maybe that registry entry plays a part, but it, alone, didn't solve my problem. I uninstalled and reinstalled both webfarm_v1.1_amd64_en_US.msi and WebFarm2_x64.msi, added the registry entry, and still had the issue. So I found on
another site that adding .NET Framework 3.5 might be needed, so I did that, rebooted, and the server came back up with the Web Farm Controller service running! So some combination of that might work for someone.
Also, it should probably be specified that the 60000 is a Decimal entry (the registry DWORD category gives you a choice between a Hexadecimal and Decimal entry, and that might throw someone off... though 60000 in hex translates to 393,216 seconds in decimal,
or well over 60 minutes, so it probably doesn't matter as you won't hit the timeout either way, except it makes your timeout way longer than you really want...).